Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Diacetyl flavour query

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 24-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
terrym

Liked 1376 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post
I think most people would agreeing that 9/10 of home brew issues are down to infections of one type or another.
That's a bit of a sweeping statement.
I certainly don't agree with what you have said.
Is that what you really mean?

Old 24-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
Hoddy

Liked 274 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
That's a bit of a sweeping statement.
I certainly don't agree with what you have said.
Is that what you really mean?

Yeah I really did.

Excerpt from the morebeer "off flavour" descriptions.

A Note on Sanitation:
Proper sanitation is often said to be the most important thing when it comes to making great homebrew. A perfectly crafted and flawlessly brewed beer can turn into an unpalatable mess if it is exposed to wild yeast or bacteria. Bacteria and wild yeast
can generate almost every off flavor listed above. If your beer develops a funky flavor and none of the referenced troubleshooting tips take care of the problem, you are
probably dealing with an infection. Always practice good sanitation techniques and be sure to sanitize anything and everything that will be coming into contact with the
wort or beer. Unfortunately, not much can be done to salvage a contaminated batch, but you can learn from it. If your beer becomes an unlucky victim of the nasties, evaluate your sanitation techniques and try again.

In most instances allot of home brewers try and find a cause of an off flavour in that long list. And desperately search for something long, complicated, and scientific as to why their beer hasn't turned out how it should have done. Believe in my early days of brewing that's exactly what I did.

But mostly it's been down to a poor sanitation process or non sanitary procedures. Unless your really unlucky with some bad malt/fermentation temps or old yeast/wrong pitch rates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever is ready

Follow me and see what i am up to on my YouTube Channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOv...dj5fHWB7nwO1ow

Tips, Tricks and general ramblings on everything to do with home brewing.