Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Brewdays! > Blackberry wine

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 31-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #41
Deltabrew

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotinto View Post
Thing that puts me off doing a large batch is boiling all that water. Defrosting berries today. Going to do a 3 gallon batch tomorrow. Going to up the blackberries to 11lb instead of 9, add a youngs concentrate and reduce the sugar very slightly. The last time I did this it came out very strong.
Do you really need the boiling water?

Old 31-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #42
HLA91

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieleeds View Post
I've done this as per the initial post, but it's fermenting extremely slowly, and I mean not even enough to move the airlock. Should I introduce more sugar?
I would be hesitant to add more sugar, how long ago did you make it? Check the airlock and bung are seated properly so the gas isn't getting out elsewhere. Is it in a warm place (not too warm) ie not left on a cold tile floor.
‘Planning is an unnatural process; it is much more fun to do something. The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.’

Old 01-09-2017, 06:17 AM   #43
Vinotinto

Liked 92 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieleeds View Post
I've done this as per the initial post, but it's fermenting extremely slowly, and I mean not even enough to move the airlock. Should I introduce more sugar?
Did you take hydrometer readings? Would indicate if you enough sugar etc.

Also, weather has dropped by 10 degrees, could this temp be the reason?

Old 01-09-2017, 06:24 AM   #44
Vinotinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltabrew View Post
Do you really need the boiling water?
Not sure but told that the main reason for adding boiling water, not to be confused with boiling the fruit, is to kill off any wild yeasts, bugs and bacteria etc. I freeze the fruit first then defrost and mash a bit so I guess some of the nasties could survive this process as well.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #45
HLA91

Boiling water is always a good idea like Vinotinto says just as a belt & braces approach to eradicating any wild yeasts even if teh fruit has been frozen. Some fruit such as Plums can be a b!tch to clear if boiling water is used on them, so a cold water method is suggested and in that case the must will need to be hit with Sodium Metabisulphate Solution (i.e. campden Tablet) to stun wild yeasts before our yeast can be added. My only wine to ever go bad was a cold water method one, so personally I always use boiling water.
‘Planning is an unnatural process; it is much more fun to do something. The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression.’

Old 01-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #46
Deltabrew

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always freeze, it kills bacteria so there is no point in adding boiling water.
Whilst it might be boiling when its tipped out of the kettle it isn't anywhere near once its hit the fruit so has no effect anyhow.
If you wanted you could add Campden....

I don't wear braces either, just a belt

Old 01-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #47
Vinotinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltabrew View Post
I always freeze, it kills bacteria so there is no point in adding boiling water.
Whilst it might be boiling when its tipped out of the kettle it isn't anywhere near once its hit the fruit so has no effect anyhow.
If you wanted you could add Campden....

I don't wear braces either, just a belt
Freezing will not necessarily kill wild yeasts though.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #48
Gunge

Liked 645 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotinto View Post
Freezing will not necessarily kill wild yeasts though.
I thought freezing stuff worked by stopping the physical movement of bacteria. Once thawed they're free to go again!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #49
HLA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunge View Post
I thought freezing stuff worked by stopping the physical movement of bacteria. Once thawed they're free to go again!
my thoughts exactly. I believe, some bacteria can be killed by freezing but for most yeasts freezing them simply puts them into a hibernation state. Either way, I always use boiling water, better safe than sorry.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #50
Bigeck
Tight Ass Jock

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLA91 View Post
my thoughts exactly. I believe, some bacteria can be killed by freezing but for most yeasts freezing them simply puts them into a hibernation state. Either way, I always use boiling water, better safe than sorry.
Freezing or dehydration will not kill everything. It will kill a few things but not the majority. You need to boil the fruit for 15 minutes or add something that will kill all the nasties, potentially a stabiliser. Camden tablets do not kill everything. (Brain not working at full capacity at the moment having drunk a large quantity of Frankencider).