Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I force carb in a Corny then fill an easy keg with a blichmann beer gun or similar and then stuck bung in top and take to a party or wherever

The beer would be carbed, but you wouldn't have any head pressure to push out the beer. You'd get away with it with those kegs which have a bottom tap and one of those valves that lets air in at the top, but mine have no bottom tap and so require internal pressure to push the beer out the top.

The beer would be carbed, but you wouldn't have any head pressure to push out the beer. You'd get away with it with those kegs which have a bottom tap and one of those valves that lets air in at the top, but mine have no bottom tap and so require internal pressure to push the beer out the top.

Yea hobgoblin ones have a bottom tap and a twisty release valve on top, also found some replacement top valve bungs too, to reuse easier,

Dredging up old thread, but Morrisons have an offer on at the minute for some of these. Shipyard IPA and a couple others I can't remember for £11. Was thinking about minikeg-ing and this price might have swayed me.

They seem to ha e changed the top bungs again to a different pressure release, and they're a mare to get out without damaging the hole or dropping the bung Inside.
The taps at the bottom have changed for the better however but still produce masses of foam initially

WOW, I didn't realise you could reuse the kegs of beer bought in supermarkets. Any idea which ones are OK to reuse and which ar not?

I've bought one of the shipyard ones and unfortunately the bung dropped in. Take it I can't use it now?

I have one like that and reused a few times with no issues

Awesome so did you just buy some of the new bungs off eBay? The hole does seem to look smaller than those off the YouTube videos mind I've watched...

Really liking the rap that come on the shipyard pale. And the beer ain't to bad either.

Not finished the first one, but, as per normal, I am just going to drill out the top bung and use the rubber push in ones.

All the holes are the same size

Brilliant. Manged to prize the bung out too so all set to go. Anyone got any recommendations as to where has the best price including p&p?

Also my friend and I usually add 120g of priming sugar to a 20l batch. Some people say 30g in a 5l keg would either just produce foam or blow the keg. Is this everyone else's experience too?

Also shipyard was very good value and pleasant too! Actually confident enough now to say I prefer drinking my own stuff now though!

With these mini kegs full of beer, how can you reuse them? I thought they needed to be punctured to work?

I shall investigate, but if anyone has any comments....?

Hi Bevvied, do you know if the Stella Artois Lager Keg 5L is reusable too? Just has a funny thing on the top!!

Bevvied no longer posts on the forum (his last visit was in 2016, I think he killed himself with all the super stong beers he was making/drinking. Anyone else remember his tale of waking up in the hedge in his garden after a night on the HB :lol:)

Doing a quick google image of the stella mini keg it doesnt look like a normal mini keg so I'm not sure is they can be reused. If your going to buy one anyway post a piccy of the bung/top and I sure mini keg forumites will help you out as to whether it can be re-used or not. But looking at those kegs personally I wouldnt buy one with the aim of re-using it

With these mini kegs full of beer, how can you reuse them? I thought they needed to be punctured to work?

I shall investigate, but if anyone has any comments....?

With the re-useable kegs there's a bung at the top which you either open or push the centre part into the keg if your using a party star tap (which you can then fish out and re-use when the keg's empty

Bevvied no longer posts on the forum (his last visit was in 2016, I think he killed himself with all the super stong beers he was making/drinking. Anyone else remember his tale of waking up in the hedge in his garden after a night on the HB :lol:)

Doing a quick google image of the stella mini keg it doesnt look like a normal mini keg so I'm not sure is they can be reused. If your going to buy one anyway post a piccy of the bung/top and I sure mini keg forumites will help you out as to whether it can be re-used or not. But looking at those kegs personally I wouldnt buy one with the aim of re-using it

I think a lot of the lager mini kegs have a built in CO2 system so that the beer you get has lager levels of carbonation. They take a lot of work to make reusable IIRC, I’m sure there’s someone on the depths of this thread that managed.

I think a lot of the lager mini kegs have a built in CO2 system so that the beer you get has lager levels of carbonation. They take a lot of work to make reusable IIRC, I’m sure there’s someone on the depths of this thread that managed.

I vaugely seem to recall @dutto butchering one of these types of kegs but cant remember if he had any success with re-using it

Thanks MyQul
Shame about Bevvied. When I went on to brew.co.uk I saw the mini kegs where a pressure and pouring system could be attached. Looks brill. https://www.brewuk.co.uk/containers/kegs/minikeg.html I do wonder how well they clean though? I am using the Coopers 500ml bottles and I fend them a pain to clean out all the time. Just done about twenty odd from the weekend and it took me about half an hour. I know the best way is to clean them out once you have opened it, so I suppose I should stop being lazy and just do that.
Having said that, the kegs do look fab. I also like the idea of pouring draft HB. Still concerned about the cleaning though!

Back