Post Fermentation Dilution question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
Having brewed an IPA which started at 01.060 down to 01.010 just prior to bottling I felt that at 6.5% the alcohol was taking over the taste of the hops.

Therefore I have added 1litre as a hop tea along with my priming sugar dissolved in 500ml of water.

Can anyone give me a pointer as to my potential ABV after adding 1.5litres to 18 litres at an original ABV of 6.5% just prior to bottling please.

I have looked at the calculator on Brewersfriend on dilution pre fermentation so next time if I hit an OG of 1.060 at 19l I will add approx 3 litres of water to bring down to approx 1.050 region.

Thanks in advance.

Having brewed an IPA which started at 01.060 down to 01.010 just prior to bottling I felt that at 6.5% the alcohol was taking over the taste of the hops.

Therefore I have added 1litre as a hop tea along with my priming sugar dissolved in 500ml of water.

Can anyone give me a pointer as to my potential ABV after adding 1.5litres to 18 litres at an original ABV of 6.5% just prior to bottling please.

I have looked at the calculator on Brewersfriend on dilution pre fermentation so next time if I hit an OG of 1.060 at 19l I will add approx 3 litres of water to bring down to approx 1.050 region.

Thanks in advance.

You would have 6% by adding 1.5l of water but with priming sugar added that would then go back up by about .1 - .2% depending on how much sugar you add. To get it down to 5% abv you would need to add around 5 litres of water.

You would have 6% by adding 1.5l of water but with priming sugar added that would then go back up by about .1 - .2% depending on how much sugar you add. To get it down to 5% abv you would need to add around 5 litres of water.

Chewie, thanks for the above.

What is your general rule of thumb when deciding the quantity to end ABV?

6.5% of 18L is 1170ml you toped up to 19.5l 1170ml is 6% of 19.5L (1170ml/195ml=6% which is 1% of 19.5l). To work out the total volume for 5% you have 1.170L of alcohol if you want to make that 5% of the total volume you need so times 20 (100%/5%) = 23.4L total volume minus the volume you already have 19.5L you need 3.9L more.

Chewie, thanks for the above.

What is your general rule of thumb when deciding the quantity to end ABV?

It's fairly straightforward maths, all you need to know is the starting volume of alcohol which you take as 100% before you make your calc's. As Simon says in your case it's approx 1.1litres (1170ml) as 6.5% of 18000 ml.

If its weaker brews you want it's an easier solution to just use smaller amounts of base malt, ballpark for a 23l brew is 1kg base malt will give you 1% alcohol, this assumes that you get a good conversion during your mash.

When batch priming you will add about .1% to the ABV or with a bottle prime of about 5mg sugar you would get about .2% onto the total.

6.5% of 18L is 1170ml you toped up to 19.5l 1170ml is 6% of 19.5L (1170ml/195ml=6% which is 1% of 19.5l). To work out the total volume for 5% you have 1.170L of alcohol if you want to make that 5% of the total volume you need so times 20 (100%/5%) = 23.4L total volume minus the volume you already have 19.5L you need 3.9L more.

Thanks Simon

It took me a while to get my head around your post.

Sorted.

The simple equation for dilution (or concentration) is:

V1×C1=V2×C2

V1 is volume before dilution
C1 is concentration before dilution (eg. SG or ABV)
V2 is volume after dilution
C2 is concentration after dilution

You can then rearrange the equation for whatever you're trying to find. Eg. C2=V1C1/V2

The simple equation for dilution (or concentration) is:

V1×C1=V2×C2

V1 is volume before dilution
C1 is concentration before dilution (eg. SG or ABV)
V2 is volume after dilution
C2 is concentration after dilution

You can then rearrange the equation for whatever you're trying to find. Eg. C2=V1C1/V2

Simple, he says :roll::lol:

Back