Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > No Degassing Step for Elderberry Wine

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 13-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
HelpImBlind

Likes Given: 2

Default No Degassing Step for Elderberry Wine

Hey All.

I'm entirely new to homebrewing, and I decided to jump off with this Elderberry Wine recipe: https://www.brewbitz.com/content/10-...ry-wine-recipe

I've just moved it to a second demijohn, where I added a Campden tablet, and I will leave it for a month before and final racking. I was just wondering - this recipe doesn't seem to have a degassing step whatsoever. Why? Is it necessary but skipped in the recipe - or unnecessary for some reason?

Thanks!

Old 13-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
chewie

Liked 333 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpImBlind View Post
Hey All.

I'm entirely new to homebrewing, and I decided to jump off with this Elderberry Wine recipe: https://www.brewbitz.com/content/10-...ry-wine-recipe

I've just moved it to a second demijohn, where I added a Campden tablet, and I will leave it for a month before and final racking. I was just wondering - this recipe doesn't seem to have a degassing step whatsoever. Why? Is it necessary but skipped in the recipe - or unnecessary for some reason?

Thanks!
Wine will clear and degas itself over time, degassing is usually done to speed up the process when finings are going to be used.
HelpImBlind Likes This 
Old 13-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
Cwrw666

Liked 551 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I'd never heard of de-gassing homemade wine until I joined this forum. Just another way of introducing an infection to your brews if you ask me.
Some curl-eye kale,
But give I boiled parsnips
And a girt dish o taters
And a pint of good ale.
HelpImBlind Likes This 
Old 13-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
Bigeck
Tight Ass Jock

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 43

It's well worth making sure your wine is degassed. It spoils the taste, although there is nothing wrong with the wine itself. If you bottle up with gas still there you run the risk of the cork being pushed out, or having to shake the bottle to get rid of the gas when you open it.

You can leave it to degas naturally while the wine is clearing, but if it clears quickly you might still have a lot of gas there, and it could take months for the gas to go. Leaving the wine in a warmer area will help the gas to come out.

You can give the wine a shake to degas once you have racked off the sediment of use the drill and whip / coat hanger method.

Old 13-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #5
tonyhibbett

Liked 106 Times on 99 Posts

I never encountered degassing until I started using some (but not all) kits. It is supposed to ensure quick fining. I have found that red wine clears quite quickly without assistance, even before fermentation has finally completed. Fining removes some tannin, which may be desirable if large quantities of elderberries have been used, as is the case for the recipe you have used, depending on the size of the carrier bags! 5 pounds of elderberries with stalks should give 2 kilos of elderberries which would produce lots of tannin, so perhaps fining might be desirable. However, 3 pounds of sugar per gallon will almost certainly produce a sweet wine, especially since 2 kilos of elderberries would add another 200 g of sugar.
Small vineyard, currently 20 pinot noir, 4 rondo, 1 bacchus, 8 riesling, 2 dunkelfelder, 3 brandt, 3 regent, 2 flame, 3 strawberry grape, 1 phoenix, 3 vrogen van der laan, 1 chasselas dore, 4 chardonnay, 8 frankenthaler, 4 pinot blanc, 10 cabernet sauvignon, 2 Marechal Foch. 1 semillion, 4 madeleine angevine