Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Post Fermentation Dilution question

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
dafbach
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Post Fermentation Dilution question

Having brewed an IPA which started at 01.060 down to 01.010 just prior to bottling I felt that at 6.5% the alcohol was taking over the taste of the hops.

Therefore I have added 1litre as a hop tea along with my priming sugar dissolved in 500ml of water.

Can anyone give me a pointer as to my potential ABV after adding 1.5litres to 18 litres at an original ABV of 6.5% just prior to bottling please.

I have looked at the calculator on Brewersfriend on dilution pre fermentation so next time if I hit an OG of 1.060 at 19l I will add approx 3 litres of water to bring down to approx 1.050 region.

Thanks in advance.
dafbach is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #2
chewie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,073
Liked 333 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafbach View Post
Having brewed an IPA which started at 01.060 down to 01.010 just prior to bottling I felt that at 6.5% the alcohol was taking over the taste of the hops.

Therefore I have added 1litre as a hop tea along with my priming sugar dissolved in 500ml of water.

Can anyone give me a pointer as to my potential ABV after adding 1.5litres to 18 litres at an original ABV of 6.5% just prior to bottling please.

I have looked at the calculator on Brewersfriend on dilution pre fermentation so next time if I hit an OG of 1.060 at 19l I will add approx 3 litres of water to bring down to approx 1.050 region.

Thanks in advance.
You would have 6% by adding 1.5l of water but with priming sugar added that would then go back up by about .1 - .2% depending on how much sugar you add. To get it down to 5% abv you would need to add around 5 litres of water.
chewie is offline  
dafbach Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
dafbach
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie View Post
You would have 6% by adding 1.5l of water but with priming sugar added that would then go back up by about .1 - .2% depending on how much sugar you add. To get it down to 5% abv you would need to add around 5 litres of water.
Chewie, thanks for the above.

What is your general rule of thumb when deciding the quantity to end ABV?
dafbach is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
simon12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 938
Liked 237 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default

6.5% of 18L is 1170ml you toped up to 19.5l 1170ml is 6% of 19.5L (1170ml/195ml=6% which is 1% of 19.5l). To work out the total volume for 5% you have 1.170L of alcohol if you want to make that 5% of the total volume you need so times 20 (100%/5%) = 23.4L total volume minus the volume you already have 19.5L you need 3.9L more.
simon12 is offline  
dafbach Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
chewie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,073
Liked 333 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafbach View Post
Chewie, thanks for the above.

What is your general rule of thumb when deciding the quantity to end ABV?
It's fairly straightforward maths, all you need to know is the starting volume of alcohol which you take as 100% before you make your calc's. As Simon says in your case it's approx 1.1litres (1170ml) as 6.5% of 18000 ml.

If its weaker brews you want it's an easier solution to just use smaller amounts of base malt, ballpark for a 23l brew is 1kg base malt will give you 1% alcohol, this assumes that you get a good conversion during your mash.

When batch priming you will add about .1% to the ABV or with a bottle prime of about 5mg sugar you would get about .2% onto the total.
chewie is offline  
dafbach Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
MyQul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Royal Hamlet of Peckham. London.
Posts: 11,860
Liked 4022 Times on 3060 Posts
Likes Given: 4203

Default

I'm crap at maths and just use this dilution calc with my maxi-biab's, which seems to be fairly accurate

https://www.brewersfriend.com/diluti...ty-calculator/
__________________

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare







MyQul is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #7
dafbach
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon12 View Post
6.5% of 18L is 1170ml you toped up to 19.5l 1170ml is 6% of 19.5L (1170ml/195ml=6% which is 1% of 19.5l). To work out the total volume for 5% you have 1.170L of alcohol if you want to make that 5% of the total volume you need so times 20 (100%/5%) = 23.4L total volume minus the volume you already have 19.5L you need 3.9L more.
Thanks Simon

It took me a while to get my head around your post.

Sorted.
dafbach is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer
 
strange-steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Galle Crater, Mars
Posts: 1,731
Liked 833 Times on 555 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Default

The simple equation for dilution (or concentration) is:

V1×C1=V2×C2

V1 is volume before dilution
C1 is concentration before dilution (eg. SG or ABV)
V2 is volume after dilution
C2 is concentration after dilution

You can then rearrange the equation for whatever you're trying to find. Eg. C2=V1C1/V2
__________________
"We're all puppets... I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."
strange-steve is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #9
dafbach
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
I'm crap at maths and just use this dilution calc with my maxi-biab's, which seems to be fairly accurate

https://www.brewersfriend.com/diluti...ty-calculator/
Cheers MyQul

I'll use this calc prior to fermentation next time now I know the potential ABV of an OG of 1.060
dafbach is offline  
MyQul Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
MyQul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Royal Hamlet of Peckham. London.
Posts: 11,860
Liked 4022 Times on 3060 Posts
Likes Given: 4203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
The simple equation for dilution (or concentration) is:

V1×C1=V2×C2

V1 is volume before dilution
C1 is concentration before dilution (eg. SG or ABV)
V2 is volume after dilution
C2 is concentration after dilution

You can then rearrange the equation for whatever you're trying to find. Eg. C2=V1C1/V2

Simple, he says
__________________

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare







MyQul is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottles: post secondary fermentation Lord0 General Beer Brewing Discussion 23 17-11-2016 08:41 AM
A couple of post fermentation questions Candyman Wine & Cider Discussions 2 03-09-2015 08:32 AM
ANOTHER stuck fermentation post... Steviewell General Beer Brewing Discussion 12 01-05-2015 08:21 PM
Phenol flavour in beer post fermentation - what to do? RobWalker Beer Brewdays! 12 13-11-2011 03:51 AM
Dilution old soak General Beer Brewing Discussion 6 21-10-2011 07:27 PM

Newest Threads