Dilemma...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Reaction score
I recently arranged to get my father-in-laws laptop repaired quite cheaply. He was so chuffed (at the price) that he offered to buy me something. I modestly said 'just get me some malt extract', thinking he would pop into Wilko's for a 500g bag.
Yesterday he presented me with a largish box and said 'I got you that malt you wanted'. Upon opening the box it contained 3 x 1kg bags of Golden Promise uncrushed malt which he'd got off eBay. Not wanting to seem ungrateful I said I could use the malt. The problem is I have just about perfected my own method of extract brewing (10L) which suits me just fine. I don't want to go to AG but at the same time fancy having a go, 'just to see'.
Should I just sell on the grain and carry on with my extract brewing, or have a bash at AG (I'd probably have to do BIAB as I don't have all the kit) ?
Decisions, decisions.......:wha:

Sounds like a great gift to me.
You know, have a go with AG and see what you think? No harm trying and lots of good information on here about brew in a bag. Good luck!

Have a go at AG, look up stove top brewing, you don't need loads of kit and you probably have most of it already. At least you will find out if you like AG brewing....

Have a go at partial mash, ie extract and base malt. Plenty of info out there on how to do it so won't bore you with info here.
Easy to do and will produce some nice beers and it's a step along the road to AG.
:thumb:
Ok it's uncrused.If you have a blender in the house you can chomp it up with that. I know you shouldn't do it, however before i had a grinder i did use a blender with no ill effects at all.

I think partial mash is a great idea. With a large-ish pot and a tight knit muslin bag or nylon paint strainer you can do a mini BIAB, and then crushing with a blender will be ok - in fact a fine crush will probably be good for your efficiency. For 1kg, just heat 3.5L water to 74C, put in the bag then stir in the crushed grain so there aren't any lumps. Then leave covered/insulated for half an hour, give it a good stir, then leave it another half hour. Then pull up the bag and give it a good squeeze to get out as much liquid as possible and voila, around 2.5L of wort with the equivalent to about 500 to 600g DME in it.

Latest posts

Back