types of yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnierider

Reaction score
After years of doing extract kits i moved on to all grain at the start of this year (no going back is there !!!!)I've done 8 brews all better than the extract kits I play about with ingrediants mainly brewing bitter or paleale type brews.I have always used 'Safale04' yeast which seems to do the job.I have noticed there are many types of yeast and wondered about thier advantages Any advice from more experianced brewers .

All of the Whitelabs yeasts with WLP002 as my Favourite, but to be honest if your just starting AG I would get a few brews under your belt before you start fine tuning.

RobWalker said:
Wlp are expensive here, try brewlabs for unique yeasts. Always stick to style, it makes a huge difference!

I get 6 brews from each Whitelab vial by splitting, + 1 for brewlabs as well. There is such a good variety of yeast available now, including ones you can harvest from commercial bottled beers. Recommend all brewers to buy the yeast book.

Would it be feasible to collect a few spoonfuls of sediment from the bottom of my fermentation bin after i've barreled my beer then freeze it in ice cube trays (i used Nottingham dried yeast)To thaw out and re-activate as a starter for my next brew ????Brewing Gurus advice sought :?

Back