Diacetyl Rest ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer brown

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey All

I'm brewing up a mild and using London ESB 1968. I read that I may have to do a diacetyl rest with this particular yeast in order to get rid of any buttery/butterscotch flavor? As its a mild I want a nice sweet/caramel finish so do I just ignore the diacetyl rest?

Also, I aimed to mash at 69c to get some nice unfermentable sugars but only manged 67c, is there anything else I can do so get a more sweeter finish? This particular yeast has a relatively low Attenuation of 67-71% so maybe ill get a slightly sweet finish anyway?

Any advice much appreciated :cheers:

If the fermentation is warm enough at the end, there's no need for any special steps. By "warm enough" I mean 19-20c. Just don't rack to cold crash too early. Yeast will do its work.

Sorry for the rookie question here, but would mashing at a slightly higher temperature usually result in a sweeter beer? Also, if these sugars are unfermentable, would it result in a slightly higher FG?

WelshPaul said:
Sorry for the rookie question here, but would mashing at a slightly higher temperature usually result in a sweeter beer? Also, if these sugars are unfermentable, would it result in a slightly higher FG?

Yes and yes. :)

WelshPaul said:

I was meant to mash higher but realised after an hour it hadn't hit my 68-69 target so I dont think its going to have that nice slightly sweet/caramel finish. I did use Caramalt and crystal which should help anyway I guess?!

Back