alcotec vodka kit.How long does carbon take to settle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niklas

Reaction score
I just racked my 25 litres of alcotec vodka type stuff after it finished fermenting for two weeks . It was already starting to clear naturally ,most of the way down the fv. Anyway i've now added the stabilizer and the bag of carbon/charcoal stuff and given it a really good stir n shake .I've now got a big bucket of degassed black stuff!!!(got to stir it up few times over the next 24 hours). I'm assuming that it will start to clear over the next few days on its own and the carbon will settle with the sediment on its own accord.Anyone got any experience with this type of kit?I know they've had some bad reviews but hey , i'm doing one anyway.Any help much appreciated...

Thanks Duncs, do you think i should wait for the carbon to settle before adding the a+b finings?Was going to to rack it off again too before adding them. It's starting to clear a little bit from the top down now but i reckon it's going to take at least 10 or so days before it isn't looking like black water!

It doesn't look very tasty with the carbon in it, does it?.

Adding the finings will get the carbon to drop and should leave it clear. A day or two after adding the finings, rack it off and you'll have about 23 litres of clear, slightly funky tasting, alcoholic liquid.

It goes quite well with SodaStream flavourings but if you put the "vodka" stuff in a SodaStream, be prepared to have to redecorate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfuqPSZGn5A :doh:

I added at the start of fermentation and then racked and turboklarred.

If you add turboklar now it should in theory help the charcoal drop out, provided it's really well degassed. Might take a week or so though.

You were both spot on . I added the finings and within a week had fallen pretty much completely clear. I racked it off again to another fv before a final racking into dj's and it was as clear as water. :D
Interesting stuff though isn't it !?? I wouldn't drink it on its own but with plenty of ice and the fizzy of your choice it certainly hits the spot ! If you like Dr Pepper try it with that or i've found that when mixed with Lemon Fanta ,its pretty good too. Made up a few bottles with JD flavouring which tasted dodgy on its own but okish with coke . Tried a few with brandy one too.........yuk. Got a few with the dark rum flavour and that smells n taste ok but i reckon the nicest way to gulp it is when its served without any flavouring with loads of ice n pop!!
Pretty strong too and i've noticed that i dont get any headache the next morning like you do for instance say after a couple of bottles of cheapish dry white. :doh:

Back