Eco Friendly Sterilisation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill_j_smith

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know of a eco-friendly sterilization method for fermenting bins? I was thinking of boiling water but its not 100% going to get all areas of the bin. I ask because I have a septic tank and the stuff I bought from a brewing shop kills all kinds of things.

Regards

Bill

Welcome to the forum Bill.

I steam sterilise my FV's by placing them over an open kettle and steaming for 5-10 minutes. Although this is obviously no good for a glass demijohn. You could also use a steam cleaner as well as long as the steam stays in the fv ie turn it upside down. Some people have built copper manifolds to sterilise bottles with as well.

However I personally give it a quick spray with Videne as well to be safe. :thumb:

We have a full biological sceptic tank, I sterilise with a mixture of cheap bleach and Oxiclean.
Upto now we have had no problems.

The tank gets checked (now that is a **** job) every six months and everything is in order.

When you think about the volume of the tank and how much sterilising mixture you add to it, it's not a huge amount.

Mind you - YMMV.

Latest posts

Back