Low Cost AG Set Up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titus A Duxass

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that I saw a thread on here about a 50 quid (ish) AG set up.

I searched for it with Google advanced search but have failed to find it.

Is there a thread or am I mishtahken?

Cheers
TAD

I don't remember the thread, but see no reason why you couldn't achieve this using plastic buckets fitted with Tesco type elements for the boiler and HLT or even cheaper combining the two. Then use a cheap picnic type cooler box for the mash tun. There are topics on converting buckets and mash tuns etc. The resulting beer is just as good as using stainless steel, so should not be seen as a poor mans AG set up. Each to their own, but the end product is the goal, not the means.

Yep see that but don't differentiate as it produces AG beer :grin: ...unless I've missed something.(quite possible) :lol:
I seem to remember a topic that used a bucket in a bucket with insulation for a mash tun...a long time ago :hmm:

Vossy1 said:
It might be!
I'm liking that!

I have my eye on a 50l and a 70l stainless pot (I'd prefer to go the gas route) on der Bucht.

Or I can get a 60l plastic barrel for 27 yoyos from amazon.
My problem is sourcing cheap kettle elements over here.

Question - If I were to go with a coolbox will a cheap as chips (9 yoyos) coolbox do?

Vossy1 said:
Question - If I were to go with a coolbox will a cheap as chips (9 yoyos) coolbox do?
It might not have great insulation but you could always wrap it in a duvet or 2 or similar to get round it, cheap and easy!

I could "wrap" it in thick polystrene sheeting which costs pennies in our local DIY market.

check out the volume of the cheapo coldbox first, you want something close to 30l for batch sparging a 23l brew of avarage strength.... if u fly sparge a slightly smaller volume will work, but i wouldnt look at anything smaller than 25l.. as some measurements also include partial lid volume as the lid sits inside the box!

afaik 99% of coldbox lids are empty.. so thats an easy mod, some pump insualtion/builders foam in from a can, i cut layers of bubblewrap from a delivery into sheets and layered em inside my 2 part shell lid.

yes a tight budget!!

might be amost doable tho :) if you can scrounge donner kettles for elements from family and friends, and perhaps recycle mango chutney barrels from the back of a couple of indian resturants for vessels. (ask even if put out with rubish u may get 2 more..)

And be carefull buying budget brasswork direct from china/ebay, may not be suitable for potable water(lead?)

good luck and pics and details of the build will always be welcome :)

all my projects go way over budget/time,, would be good to see one come in under or close:)

If you are on a tight budget then don't bother with a mash tun. You need a big enough boiler plus insulation so that you can do BIAB. You don't even need a bag, just a piece of voile. I was lucky to pick up a Buffalo 40L boiler for £66 but by the time I had insulated it and changed the tap it was a little over £100.

Latest posts

Back