Degassing wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivegoldstars

Reaction score
Opened my first ever bottle of homebrew tonight. It's a Wilko Cab. Sauv. ...and it's pretty rank :-|
I wasn't expecting too much after such a short time in the bottle (two weeks), although the kit does say that the wine is ready to drink straight away.
My issue is, I don't know whether it's going to get any better, as I may have made an error in my brewing. When I opened the bottle, there was quite a hiss of CO2, and slight bubbling around the edge of the glass. The smell is....not good. The wine itself is actually drinkable, so I don't think it's infected or anything like that.
My two questions are:
1) If this is a degassing issue, what does everyone else do before bottling? I followed the instructions, swirling the demijohn several times over 24 hours after stabilising. Should I look at wine whips etc?
2) This bottle was less full than the remainder. If there's CO2 building up in them, I may have a pressure issue. Is it safe to loosen the caps, or do I risk oxidization?
Thanks for reading.

Swirling won't do it you need to cover the neck with a clean hand and shake the DJ for a couple of seconds release the CO2 then do it again until you don't hear a hiss when you take your hand off.
A degassing wand saves a lot of time and effort especially if you have a 5 gallon wine to degas.
As for releasing the pressure in the bottles you will be fine as the escaping CO2 will stop any air going into the bottle.

Unlike homebrew beer, there shouldn't be any CO2 in the bottles - it should've been bottled clear with all the yeast finished or killed off. There should have been a sachet or two of additives in the kit to do this, at the final stage of the process prior to bottling?

Sounds like it's still going after bottling and/or you didn't de-gas enough. You said you swirled the demijohn, I usually shake the living daylights out of it 4 or 5 times a day over 3 days, you can see the bubbles rising as it produced a head. Only when you get less and less bubbles is is getting ready to bottle.

I'd be tempted to sterilise the demijohn and chuck it back it, then de-gass over several days and re-bottle.

Also, in my experience reds take a lot longer to come good than whites, I'd leave them a couple of month in a cool dark room. Persevere, my first red wasn't that good but they're much better now with a bit of experience.

Well, as luck would have it, my second demijohn of the same stuff finished fermenting over the last day or so. I took the FG today - appears to be .990, so I chucked in the stabilisers.
This time, I've given it a damn good shake, and intend to repeat as necessary. It throws up quite a frothy head, and sends a few bubbles through the airlock. I just worry at what point I've stopped beating CO2 out, and started beating O2 in.

It throws up quite a frothy head, and sends a few bubbles through the airlock. I just worry at what point I've stopped beating CO2 out, and started beating O2 in.

Dont leave the airlock in it, cover the neck with a clean hand and shake the DJ for a couple of seconds release the CO2 then do it again and again until you don't hear a hiss when you take your hand off, there is no need to repeat the next day if you do it properly.

Put the airlock back in once you have added the finings.

Latest posts

Back