diacetyl rest

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brydo

Regular.
Reaction score
hi guys, im not sure when to start the rest. i have brew in the demi john with mangrove jack lager yeast, it has fermented away at 11oc for ten days now so was thinking to bring it out of the celler and up to room temp for 3 days. then i was gonna stick the fermenter in the fridge at 5oc for a further week and then bottle. does this sound right ? ive never cold crashed or done a diacetyl rest before so just checking i have the process right. cheers

I recently made a lager using the method from brosopholy site. Can't post a link as that site crashes my iPad 1.0.

In broad terms your proposal is similar, the point of the brosopholy method was speed so that involved starting the diacetyl rest when the fermentation was over 50% complete (I waited until it was 75%) which was about 4 days.

In outline it was ferment around 12, rest at 18 for a few days. Crash to zero for a week. Bottle and carbonate at 20 for a week, back down to 5 and drink after as many days as you can wait (I think I managed 2 before testing).:whistle:

Latest posts

Back