Mikkellers Book of beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put together a version of the Green Gold using the get er brewed custom kits. They didn't have Santiam hops though. Any suggestions on a common replacement?
According to Google the suggested replacements have a lower ibu than the book gives for Santiam (3% compared to 9% in the book for Santiam)

Put together a version of the Green Gold using the get er brewed custom kits. They didn't have Santiam hops though. Any suggestions on a common replacement?
According to Google the suggested replacements have a lower ibu than the book gives for Santiam (3% compared to 9% in the book for Santiam)

Think when I was looking at this recipe Tettnang was suggested as a replacement for Santiam

That's the one.

I found everything easily online (I use Brew UK).

What do you think about the fact there's no dry hop? Does that seem odd to you for a black IPA?

By the way, do you find brew uk a good reliable online set up? I'm looking to order regular ingredients from some such place . Do they let you but specific grain amounts or is it just 500g, 1kg bags etc?

By the way, do you find brew uk a good reliable online set up? I'm looking to order regular ingredients from some such place . Do they let you but specific grain amounts or is it just 500g, 1kg bags etc?

Generally pretty reliable - not the cheapest but good range. Just 500g and 1 kg bags unfortunately.

I'm not that far advanced into my brewing yet to know. I'm sure there are plenty who can advise though. Let me know if you get it going!

Did you end up doing the Firestone Walker Wookey Jack yet?

I'm brewing it this weekend - looking forward to it! Not done a black IPA before.

There's no Dry Hop in the recipe but I'm planning to do one - 50/50 Citra and Amarillo.

Did you end up doing the Firestone Walker Wookey Jack yet?

I'm brewing it this weekend - looking forward to it! Not done a black IPA before.

There's no Dry Hop in the recipe but I'm planning to do one - 50/50 Citra and Amarillo.

No I did the milk stout again, just yesterday actually . Going to split the batch and tweak both adding some toasted coconut in one and some fat washed hazelnut liqueur to the other. Love to know how you get on though!

Think when I was looking at this recipe Tettnang was suggested as a replacement for Santiam

Cheers for that. No tett in my freezer unfortunately! Going to mull over Hallertau Blanc, Saaz, Cascade, Perle or just think **** it and wang a load of columbus in! :)

No I did the milk stout again, just yesterday actually . Going to split the batch and tweak both adding some toasted coconut in one and some fat washed hazelnut liqueur to the other. Love to know how you get on though!

I did it today - had some efficiency issues though. OG came up at 1.066 instead of 1.074, 59% efficient according to my brew software so I'm wondering what went wrong. Still - if I hit the FG it'll still be 7.2% ABV. Not quite the 8.3 it's meant to be but I think I'll manage.

As I said, I'm dry hopping it as the idea of an IPA that's not dry hopped is completely alien to me.

Those Milk Stouts sounds lovely! Maybe we can organise a bottle swap?

I did it today - had some efficiency issues though. OG came up at 1.066 instead of 1.074, 59% efficient according to my brew software so I'm wondering what went wrong. Still - if I hit the FG it'll still be 7.2% ABV. Not quite the 8.3 it's meant to be but I think I'll manage.

As I said, I'm dry hopping it as the idea of an IPA that's not dry hopped is completely alien to me.

Those Milk Stouts sounds lovely! Maybe we can organise a bottle swap?

Sure thing. Will wait on the outcome of mine though. Last time i made it it was one of the best I've done so far. Still having ups and downs with brews though. Fingers crossed!

Sure thing. Will wait on the outcome of mine though. Last time i made it it was one of the best I've done so far. Still having ups and downs with brews though. Fingers crossed!

How are you getting on?

My process is far from perfect BTW. Mine's settled at 1.014 so that's 6.8% ABV, not quite the 8+% I was going for. Samples are tasting pretty pretty good though.

It's stayed in the FV a bit longer than planned because my little boy got hold of my hydrometer and smashed it - had to buy a new one before I could take the FG. Going to Dry Hop it tomorrow night I reckon and bottle on Friday or Saturday - planning to bottle a couple without the dry hop so I can compare the recipe to my own version.

I haven't got the desired abv this time around but glad it's lower rather than higher!

I've split the batch into 3. Bottled approx 5 litres as is, 5 litres with a homemade hazelnut liqueur into it, and got the remainder still sat with a load of toasted coconut in and some vanilla .

Will bottle that last batch this weekend. After they've carbed up (hopefully) in a couple of weeks I'll be giving them a go.

Keep me updated on yours. Sounds terrific!

How are you getting on?

My process is far from perfect BTW. Mine's settled at 1.014 so that's 6.8% ABV, not quite the 8+% I was going for. Samples are tasting pretty pretty good though.

It's stayed in the FV a bit longer than planned because my little boy got hold of my hydrometer and smashed it - had to buy a new one before I could take the FG. Going to Dry Hop it tomorrow night I reckon and bottle on Friday or Saturday - planning to bottle a couple without the dry hop so I can compare the recipe to my own version.

Any updates on the brew?

Any updates on the brew?

Hmm, well I'm a bit disappointed tbh. I think it's a little sweet - maybe under-attenuated? It's only been in the bottle 3 weeks so I'm giving it time and hoping it turns into something a bit more tasty.

How's yours?

Hmm, well I'm a bit disappointed tbh. I think it's a little sweet - maybe under-attenuated? It's only been in the bottle 3 weeks so I'm giving it time and hoping it turns into something a bit more tasty.

How's yours?

The original batch is lovely, just a little lower in abv. The coconut version is a nice addition and other than the oil making the head disappear is really tasty. The ones with the hazelnut liqueur is a split decision. Very boozy but quite nice in my opinion. Other half thinks too much booze.

The original batch is lovely, just a little lower in abv. The coconut version is a nice addition and other than the oil making the head disappear is really tasty. The ones with the hazelnut liqueur is a split decision. Very boozy but quite nice in my opinion. Other half thinks too much booze.

That sounds like a good turnout. Cracked another one of mine open tonight (first since last weekend) and I think it's developing nicely. Kind of spicy and pretty boozy - I think it might turnout ok!

@jceg316 I'd love to know which ones you've tried.

I'm looking at doing the Drinkin' The Sun for an easy going table beer type brew, I might up the % to a high 3 or so and also the Firestone Black IPA.

One thing I'd like is a bit of a preamble to the recipes as one question I have is the thinking behind his difficulty scale. What makes the harder recipes hard? What should I look out for?

The Typos are pretty bad - they even mistyped one of the beer names! All Other Pales Pale is called All Other Pale Ales at the top of the recipe and I've spotted several more mistakes (am I really meant to ferment the porter at 121 C? I think that should be 21 C). It's a shame as it detracts from an otherwise pretty good book.

I agree about the history too - his 'Gypsy Brewing' technique is interesting, that he was into running when he was 14 isn't.

Ive just been flicking through the recipes and I don't know what flaked mats are? The all other pale ales has cara pils twice in the recipe?
Also don't like that theres no time line on when the beer should come good and given that he likes the high abv's that's quite important I think?
ill still give some of the beers ago but feel the book is a bit short on recipes which is why after all we buy the book

Ive just been flicking through the recipes and I don't know what flaked mats are? The all other pale ales has cara pils twice in the recipe?
Also don't like theres no time line on when the beer should come good and given that he likes the high abv's that's quite important I think?
ill still give some of the beers ago but feel the book is a bit short on recipes which is why after all we buy the book

I think Flaked Mats = Flaked Oats

And I noticed that 2 x Cara Pils too ... get the feeling one of those is meant to be something else... your guess is as good as mine!

Also don't like that theres no time line on when the beer should come good and given that he likes the high abv's that's quite important I think?

I've just ordered up the ingredients for All Other Pales Pale. After a bit of digging around online I the 2nd batch of Cara Pils in the recipe is mean to be Flaked Oats (someone on Twitter heard this from Mikeller apparently). Hoping to brew next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back