Flaked Barley

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
First ever use of flaked barley has been in a 'followed' Brakspear bitter recipie,ie it didn't call for it's use!.
Now i have done a fair few bitters and have had one that i could say was really good,the remainder so so.
Tested and dry hopped with some styrian goldings this morning.The aroma from the trial jar was certainly different as was a taster. Now i know full well that the finished article will be different from tasters from the t/jar but it certainly had a (to my mind) much fuller maltier/breadier taste.
Really looking forward to this in the bottle to see how it compares with my past attempts. Think it(at present anyway) will be going into any future bitter or mild brews:thumb:

What does flaked barley add to the mix?
What i have read,says it adds a grainy flavour and body!.
Now i am no great shakes at saying oh yes that is that flavour and that's that one but certainly a distinct aroma and flavour.
We shall see:lol:

I use it in most brews and have often championed its use on here! It adds a certain fullness and greatly helps head formation / retention. A most overlooked adjunct and IMO far superior to the ubiquitous wheat malt. 'They' say it causes haze but I've yet to see that borne out in practise - I've used 500g in my typical 3500g pale malt brews and they have always been starbright. Lurve the stuff!

Holland and Barrett sell Neales Yard Barley Flakes. Would these be suitable for brewing with?

I'm brewing a Scottish Breakfast Stout next week and want to try flaked barley

No idea to be honest. Its from DIY dog. It has cacao, coffee and lactose in it. Not very breakfast, but heigh ho

Here is the Scottish Breakfast Stout next I'm brewing a week on Sunday. Can anyone tell me if adding some flaked barley would benefit or hinder it?

Its a half batch, so 10ltrs

2, 200g extra pale
155g wheat
95g dark crystal
155g brown malt
155g black malt
95g carafa special type 1
220g flaked oats
155g crystal 150

Duly picked up this morning £1.25 -500 grams .Will be using it alonside malted rye in my next rye brews:thumb:

Ok with regards to the flaked barley.
Have had my 'ordinary' bitter bottled for a few days and it's pretty damn cloudy. Normally my beers are quite clear,verging on very clear even when first bottled.
Anyone have opinions as to if it will clear ok with time?

Back