Pilsner Pitching Temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveng

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at a Pilsner recipe that uses Wyeast #2124 and a fermentation temp of around 12 degrees C. My question, though, is, what sort of temperature would you want to be pitching the yeast at? With my immersion chiller I'd imagine it'll be difficult to get down to that fermentation temperature as my water isn't really cold enough.

Wyeast say the temp range is up to 20 degrees C, so is it okay to pitch warmer, and then get it into my [as yet unready] fermentation fridge to get it down to 12?

Yep agree with Saisonator, get it down to fermentation temperature before you pitch, and pitch BIG.

I use Saflager 34/70 (the dry version of yeast 2124) a lot. My immersion chiller gets the wort down to 64-66f (18c or so) during winter. I pitch the yeast and put the f v into my "cellar" at 50f (10c) around mid afternoon. The wort gets down to 50f (10c) by morning and the yeast is usually going by early afternoon.
During the warmer time of year I can only get the wort down to 74f (23c). I then set my preboil water lever to end up with less wort than the actual batch size and top it off with some near freezing distilled water to get it down to 64-66f (18c or so) and proceed as above.

I am to about to make an Imperial Pilsner from Greg Hughes book, I am about to use White Labs 1830 yeast(i believe this is equivalent to the Wyeast one). I will be producing this in a starter. My question is after producing the starter do i need to reduce temp of the starter before pitching into my 12C wort?

Back