Dripping tap on secondary; solutions needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewdoyle

Reaction score
Hello folks

I'm absolutely brand new to brewing. I could do with some suggestions as to how to remedy a situation that his arisen.

Basically, I'm a week off a brew being ready (a porter kit; had good reviews from what I've seen.) Stupidly, I got impatient tonight and drew a little bit from the secondary to see how it was coming along (that's probably opened up separate can of worms....) However, the tap on my secondary is dripping pretty constantly. I'd say about 3 drips every ten seconds. Not an emergency but enough to cause an issue re storage and also, I'm a touch concerned that air could be getting to the beer and and wrecking it.

My kit is one of those Wilko ones.

So, first question; I've turned the tap upside down. It seems to have stopped it or, at the very least, significantly reduced the problem. Are there any long term issues with this?

Long term solutions wise, I've tried to sort the tap out but I'm resigned to the fact that's it's knackered. I don't want to tip it on its side (I don't even know if you can or can't do that, but my gut reaction is not.) Can anyone see the problem in just syphoning it off to another barrel? If that is ok, then how would I go about re-carbonating? I used priming sugar that came with the kit last time, do I just use more? If so then how much?

Sorry for the 101 questions but I'm slightly kicking myself here.

Cheers in advance

I wasn't entirely clear from your question. Is the beer currently in a pressure barrel having already been primed or are you just using a secondary fermentor bucket to give the beer time to clear?

I am probably not best placed to answer as I don't us pressure barrels and don't bother with separate secondary fermentation.

If its a budget barrel with a lever type tap then you need to find its sweet spot where it stops the drip,they are renown for drips, if it wasn't dripping prior to you having a sneaky drink there will be a sweet spot somewhere and when you find it mark it off with a marker pen or the like

Sorry if it's unclear (that's my lack of experience showing no doubt.) I syphoned from the primary into a keg with a tap on it; put the priming sugar in and then hopped it. The kit says that in two days it will be ready to drink (although it tastes of apples at present so it needs longer.)

Thanks mate, trouble is I've been messing about with it all night and can't find that sweet spot. It's driving me mad!

Sorry if it's unclear (that's my lack of experience showing no doubt.) I syphoned from the primary into a keg with a tap on it; put the priming sugar in and then hopped it. The kit says that in two days it will be ready to drink (although it tastes of apples at present so it needs longer.)
2 days and it will still be green beer,patience and time will improve it stick with the 2+2+2 2 weeks in the fv 2 weeks in the keg put somewhere a little warm to start the carbonation of the beer and 2 weeks in a cool place and yep you can have little taste tests to monitor it:thumb:

Thanks mate, trouble is I've been messing about with it all night and can't find that sweet spot. It's driving me mad!
Giving it's a keg it's possible you may have over carved it giving too much pressure so you can't find a sweet spot which may possibly be a faulty o-ring/seal.
Try releasing the pressure until you find a sweet spot by blipping the valve and if that fails de-pressurise,transfer to a sterilised fermenter slowly,remove tap from barrel,clean tap and o-ring smearing the o-ring with enough Vaseline to be tacky,refit and transfer back with the addition of some sugar to reprime.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back