1st attempt at AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafbach

Reaction score
Hi guys. First post and a 1st attempt at AG following the instructions on page 1 of the "Have a go at simple AG" thread using Amarillo hops.

After the boil I ended up with 4 litres of wort with an OG of 1.064. I placed the wort in a 5ltr demijohn and made up to approx 4.7ltrs with cold water. I didn't want to fill the demijohn due to being uncertain how much room to leave for the krausen.

Used Safle 05 yeast, pitched at 25C (was getting a little impatient (excited!)

Took 5 days to ferment out and I bottled on the 6th day at a FG of 1.022 / 1.024.

Had a taste test (of course) and wow, not too hoppy, very smooth. Really looking forward to a pint once it has conditioned.

How long have folk left these to condition? I am guessing due to the taste test that kits take longer??

Hi dafbach,

If it tasted good then thats all that matters, I would have perhaps left it a while longer in the demi john as 1.022/24 is a little high to me. I usually leave my brews in the fermenter between 10 to 14 days. Then bottle or keg. I would say leave it a good 4 weeks in the bottle to condition and longer the better.

Jay :)

Hi dafbach,

If it tasted good then thats all that matters, I would have perhaps left it a while longer in the demi john as 1.022/24 is a little high to me. I usually leave my brews in the fermenter between 10 to 14 days. Then bottle or keg. I would say leave it a good 4 weeks in the bottle to condition and longer the better.

Jay :)

I'd be seriously concerned about bottle bombs at 1.024! Don't think I'd bottle above 1.016 depending on the yeast and grain type!

I'd be seriously concerned about bottle bombs at 1.024! Don't think I'd bottle above 1.016 depending on the yeast and grain type!

Thanks for the advice. I've moved the bottles from the wardrobe and into my garage, in a crate on the floor with something over the crate. Fingers crossed.

My yeast was Safle 05 and grain was maris otter pale ale malt. Just a simple single malt single hop.

Thanks for the advice. I've moved the bottles from the wardrobe and into my garage, in a crate on the floor with something over the crate. Fingers crossed.

My yeast was Safle 05 and grain was maris otter pale ale malt. Just a simple single malt single hop.

I'm by no means an expert (apart from having been victim of a bottle bomb) and I'm new to AG myself so I might be completely wrong but your apparent attenuation is only about 61% with the figures you're quoting. According to the Fermentis website the attenuation on the US-05 yeast is 81% which would indicate you bottled too early. I'm a big believer in leaving for at least 2 weeks before bottling.

Did you have 2 or 3 readings the same before deciding to bottle? That is the surest way to check fermentation is finished.

As mentioned 2weeks in the fv is a lot of people's standard practice. Which gives the yeast a chance to "tidy up"a after the initial ferment. You may have got away with it but your fg seems high as others have mentioned.

How much priming sugar did you put in the bottles, if it was a small amount you may be OK.

Fingers crossed.

Did you have 2 or 3 readings the same before deciding to bottle? That is the surest way to check fermentation is finished.

As mentioned 2weeks in the fv is a lot of people's standard practice. Which gives the yeast a chance to "tidy up"a after the initial ferment. You may have got away with it but your fg seems high as others have mentioned.

How much priming sugar did you put in the bottles, if it was a small amount you may be OK.

Fingers crossed.

I actually put 1 x tspoon of granulated sugar in each 600ml bottle!!

dafbach, well done on the first AG brew. I did mine a couple of weeks ago and bottled after 10 days, although I didn't measure the SG (next time!). It's very difficult to hold out for 6 week...but hopefully I'll manage the next month. I hope they turn out well.

Interestingly my Nottingham stopped at 1.022 last week too. Beer tastes fine, a bit worried that even after shaking and storing at 23C it's already pretty clear in only 3 days after bottling, hope the yeast wasn't dead.

Put it down to mashing a little warm, started at 64-65 so topped up with boiling water. Next time I'll just accept whatever it is and see if the beer comes out too dry. The other option is to have a go at myqul's 'new' yeast harvesting method, make a second starter 'just in case' of a stuck fermentation.

Got a test bottle in the fridge to try out tonight and see how it's doing.

the "maniana" in me is thinking leave it and see how it pans out, but I'm also wondering whether I should pop the corks in a few days time to release some pressure and then re crown. I only did a 5 litre batch as a first attempt so only have 7 x 600ml bottles.

Has anyone carried out the above?

True Mick, was thinking mainly about advice about bottling to early the 'bombs' didn't cross my mind!

daf, let us know how they get on mate.

Jay

Just poured the first bottle, and checked with a hydrometer, FG is actually 1.009, checked with a brewing friend and it's the refractometer that doesn't work with fermenting beer, the alcohol influences refractive index a lot more than it affects gravity so 5.2brix at the ended of fermentation is not 1.022.

Still tastes sweet/malty though, but that may be more down to the older hops not balancing it with bitterness/flavor/aroma.

dafbach, well done on the first AG brew. I did mine a couple of weeks ago and bottled after 10 days, although I didn't measure the SG (next time!). It's very difficult to hold out for 6 week...but hopefully I'll manage the next month. I hope they turn out well.

Have you an update on the taste Rory? What type did you make?

It'll be ready on Saturday so I'll tell you then! It was an English Pale Ale. Fingers crossed it'll be good.

How about yours, guessing it's not ready yet?

Well it is fairly young in the bottle, but for quality control purposes only :whistle:, I did try a bottle the other night. I was quite impressed, the amarillo hops taste and odour was present and it was pleasant to drink. Upon pouring I attained a decent head but there was no sticking to glass type of effect, but it has only been in the bottle a couple of weeks.

I'm going to do a similar brew again soon but this time using cascade hops and I may add a little torrified wheat just to see whether I can get a better head retention.

Well it is fairly young in the bottle, but for quality control purposes only :whistle:, I did try a bottle the other night. I was quite impressed, the amarillo hops taste and odour was present and it was pleasant to drink. Upon pouring I attained a decent head but there was no sticking to glass type of effect, but it has only been in the bottle a couple of weeks.

I'm going to do a similar brew again soon but this time using cascade hops and I may add a little torrified wheat just to see whether I can get a better head retention.

Glad to hear it tastes nice. Good luck with the next one.

Latest posts

Back