19-21-23 Litres?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Fellow beer patriot's

Im seeing lots on this and other forum's about brewing short for a better kit brew.
is it possible with additional steeped grains, hops and DME/LME/dextrose to achieve a just as well flavoured and acceptable ABV without reducing water content?
:thumb:

Cheers

Plenty of people do like adding brew enhancer etc.

Usually steeping means you need to boil and cool (though I'd think there are folk that don't? and will happily hear their experiences).

Kits are basically hopped extract so by brewing short you'll get a concentration of hop flavour as well as stronger brew people dry hop kits too to get a bit more zing.

I usually brew short so that I can keep everything in the FV and hopefully not have to use a blow off tube (but even then I had to use one the other day with a Coopers Real Ale at 21.5 litres which was quite 'effervescent' after 24 hours).
It does also concentrate flavours.
The other reason would be if I used a 1.5kg can kit (which I usually don't buy). I did this once only with a Wilko Hoppy Copper plus a jar of H&B Malt Extract and a steep with 100g Crystal malt brewed short to 15 litres and dry hopped with 35g First Gold it turned out OK.

Hi Fellow beer patriot's

Im seeing lots on this and other forum's about brewing short for a better kit brew.
is it possible with additional steeped grains, hops and DME/LME/dextrose to achieve a just as well flavoured and acceptable ABV without reducing water content?
:thumb:

Cheers

Brewing short or adding steeping grains will get you a maltier taste and a fuller "mouthfeel". You do need to boil all the steeping grain water before adding to the wort, because there are almost certainly some unpleasant bacteria on most grain.

Since you having to boil the wort, you can easily get the effect of a 15 / 5 / 0 min hop addition by just adding the hops to the water you are boiling. Pellets are perhaps favourite for this.

The hop bittering comes through well in a kit, but flavour and aroma are pretty much killed by the concentration of the wort down to a kit. This is why the "premium" kits come with dry hop additions.

Steeping grains and adding hops is the route to the dark side of all grain brewing.

Latest posts

Back