Have I fudged my beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcarm

Regular.
Reaction score
I use gelatin to fine my beer with good results. Just now I followed my usual procedure and added gelatin to my Youngs American Pale Ale, it's only after adding it I realised it wasn't actually gelatin but a vegetarian setting gel.

So it basically does the same job as gelatin, but will it have any adverse effect on my brew?

It was one of these I used

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/baking-ingredients---colourings/sainsburys-vegetarian-gel-sachets-6x65g

The brew is now in the fridge cold, hoping to bottle over the weekend if it hasn't gone totally wrong.

The main ingredient is dextrose which is obviously ok, it's just the gelling agent that I'm nervous about: Carrageenan, Carob Gum and Potassium Chloride

Only one way to find out. I doubt you'll end up with Beer Jelly, but if you do, you might have stumbled onto something amazing :)

Just been googling, apparently Carrageenan in the same as Irish Moss so might be ok.

I doubt there was enough in there to set the whole lot, apparently one sachet can set a pint and it was a full batch.

Guess time will tell. Going to be nervously checking the bucket now! Could kick myself

You used just one sachet? I think you'll be fine (no pun intended:D). The sachets are 6.5g so just over a teaspoon, which is about the amount of irish moss you put in to the boil near the end.

Just been googling, apparently Carrageenan in the same as Irish Moss so might be ok.

I doubt there was enough in there to set the whole lot, apparently one sachet can set a pint and it was a full batch.

Guess time will tell. Going to be nervously checking the bucket now! Could kick myself

Most of the time, the answer to the question 'have I ruined my beer?' is....probably not. Should be fine. Though I'd get the rabbit mould ready, just in case....

Cheers, I will definitely have to update this when I get round to bottling it :)

Just the one sachet which I mixed with about 150ml water.

As mentioned; Carrangeenan is just Irish moss and Potassium Chloride can be used in water treatment for brewing anyway. Some people who live in soft water areas, use it to make their water "harder" or something along those lines anyway. Not sure about the Carob gum, or locust bean gum as its also known, but I can't see it being particularly harmful to a brew.

About an hour after the 'incident' here it is so it looks like it is clumping together on the surface. Might be ok after all :)

tJEMPAm.jpg

If this works it could be worth a try if I want to try finings in future.

SWMBO is a veggie and im desperately trying to get her interested in my beer - using gelatine would guarantee her disinterest!

As a student I once made a lime jelly with lager and a black currant one with cider. The results were surprisingly enjoyable.

My brew is only blooming clear :eek:

Admittedly it's not as clear as when I've used normal gelatine in the past but it's pretty good. Tastes fine as well so think I got away with it.

Going to bottle it tonight and be more careful in the future :lol:

IqGUSLV.jpg

Not sure what happened with the picture, it's the right way up in imgur :-? Sorted it now :)

My brew is only blooming clear :eek:

Admittedly it's not as clear as when I've used normal gelatine in the past but it's pretty good. Tastes fine as well so think I got away with it.

Going to bottle it tonight and be more careful in the future :lol:

IqGUSLV.jpg

Not sure what happened with the picture, it's the right way up in imgur :-? Sorted it now :)
Do you brew from your prison cell?

As a student I once made a lime jelly with lager and a black currant one with cider. The results were surprisingly enjoyable.

Haha, I've done the cider and black one, but never thought of lager and lime. I'm going to try that, I love lime jelly.

One time in the distant past, whilst aided by some [cough]recreational pharmaceuticals[cough] we were convinced if we added jelly to Guinness that the head would set as well and we'd have Guinnessy jelly with a blamongey head on it. We didn't ACTUALLY end up with that obviously.

Can you let us know how this turns out? I don't fine with anything after the boil and as a vegetarian I wouldn't use gelatin but if this worked well I might give it a go. I don't have a problem with hazy beers but it would be nice to show of a spotlessly clear beer to friends on occasion.

Bottles on Sunday, left loads of gunk in the bottom of the bucket after transferring to the bottling bucket so it did a good job. Beer is very clear, maybe not as clear as using proper gelatin but definitely a lot clearer than it would be without any findings at all.

No apparent off flavours from the sample jar.

Looking forward to trying it out in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back