Good old bottling day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteplus1

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone else find it quite satisfying? Generally seems to be a thing people find a ball ache to do. I really enjoy the made beer going into the primed, cleaned, sterilized bottles. Capped, wiped and ready to condition. But seem to be alone in that..! I did my milk stout today and though currently flat, was tasting fab :)

Good point Pete. Personally I always bottle early in the morning and when the Mrs is out (which is a lot!), so I can talk to myself, smoke a few ciggies and do whatever i please.

Anyone else find it quite satisfying? Generally seems to be a thing people find a ball ache to do.

I hate it and am currently half way through the 15 minutes it takes milton to sterilise the 42 i am doing tonight.

I'm bottling my steam beer tonight once the kids are in bed as my wife is out tonight. I wash all my bottles as I go so a 20 minute soak in Milton and the filling will begin!

I actually quite like the bottling and capping, it's the cleaning of second hand bottles I hate, so much so I'm moving to mini kegs....

I don't mind bottling. I find it quite therapeutic with the siphon. I am still fairly new to it all though, so ask me again in 5 years or when I've uppedy batches to 50l.

I quite enjoy it too, I've learnt to make it a little easier for myself by using the dishwasher and the oven to do my bottles (I have to remove the top tray of the washer as I tend to use 750ml bottles) and I fill the bottles with the fv on the kitchen worktop above the open dishwasher door (ideal spillage tray) just by using a bottle wand (best fiver spent imho!) attatched to the tap by a short length of tube, pull up a chair, open a beer and crack on :thumb:

I enjoy it. It takes me a couple of hours to fill a 20 odd litre batch, so normally do it one evening after work.

The only thing I don't like during the brewing process is cleaning out fermenters.

With Star San, a bottle tree, a little bottler, a TV or radio on and crates to stick them in, it's now pretty smooth. I am bottling my Traditional Bock tonight which is around 7.8% rather than the targetted 6.5%!

I don't mind bottling usually but decided I couldn't be bothered on Sunday. Kicked myself when I had to do it yesterday with a stinking hangover though, that wasn't enjoyable although it went smoothly so now I've got a 5l mini keg and 34 bottles of Better Brew Yorkshire Bitter carbonating.

I HAVE to get my latest one bottled tonight. I've been tied up all weekend with kids, friends and drinking (not all at the same time.!) so have put it off and put it off. I don't mind the bottling, its cleaning and sterilising the bottles beforehand that I can't be bothered with! Have to sort it tonight though as its had the dry hops in for 10 days now.

I recently discovered something and it's made bottling so much more easier and no its not

Starsan
Or
A bottling wand
Or
A bottling tree
Or
A bottle washer
Or
A bench capper

Yes those things are great but the one thing you need is comfort. If your comfy your happy if not your frigging miserable. I was walking thru poundland the other day and I discovered comfort in a one pound foam board to rest my knees on when I'm filling.
My 39 bottles went so much bloody easier with a one pound foam board.
So ypu can have all the shiney gizmos in the world if your uncomfy you'll be miserable.

Plus
Missus doesn't get gravel rash when she's down local car park now....

Just bottled ten of my second extract brew. Don't mind those small amounts, not so keen on forty though:nono:, ten, now that's a sensible number:lol:

Latest posts

Back