Liquid loss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockerhoop

Reaction score
This may sound like a daft question, but....
I am losing too much liquid during my boil.
Today I was brewing a pale ale.
7kg of Maris grain. I produced 7 gallons prior to boil. Using my new 10 gallon boil pan and 7.5 kw propane ring and a 90 minute boil. I ended up with just over 5 gallons. Gravity nearly 1080!
I sparged until the liquid was no longer sweet. Should I have just run off more liquor. Should I leave the lid on and turn down the gas. Should I just add water to get to a lower gravity.
I have been grain brewing for over a year now and the results have been great, but always quite a bit stronger than I intended to achieve.

We've encountered big losses from the boil before to. I ended up topping one of them up with bottled water because I didn't want it so strong.

We now use an insulating jacket round the boil pot. It's kiln cotton stuff (expensive) wrapped in high temp duct tape. That has reduced it, but still sometimes get large losses.

I'd also be interested to hear if others have irregular losses over the boil.

Sounds like u have a similar setup as myself.
I have started to back liquor to help resolve the problem.
My last brew had 200grams of leaf hops....loses where horrific. I was aiming for something sessionable so just added water to copper at flame out.

Ended up with about 55 litres across 3 fementers

Back