problem hitting FG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can somebody give me any ideas why I keep getting higher than expected FG readings?
First brew evildog kit bulldog 1014
2nd chocolate stout kit bulldog 1014
Allgrain #1 hbc American DIPA 1016 (OG 1072)
Allgrain #2 Nelson SMASH just dry hopped after 15 days 1016 (OG 1064)
AG#2 mashed a little higher than hoped @69

Can somebody give me any ideas why I keep getting higher than expected FG readings?
First brew evildog kit bulldog 1014
2nd chocolate stout kit bulldog 1014
Allgrain #1 hbc American DIPA 1016 (OG 1072)
Allgrain #2 Nelson SMASH just dry hopped after 15 days 1016 (OG 1064)
AG#2 mashed a little higher than hoped @69

OK Stig

Like that you are in Glossop. I lived there for some time and my first house was opposite Manor Park.

About the FG's:

AG#1 at 1072, comes in on schedule for a high attenuating yeast at 1014
AG#2 at 1064 and mashed at 69Cis again bang on, as 69C gives you a sweeter and heavier beer due to the non-fermentable sugars you have produced at the high-end mash temps.

As for the kits, these are top of the range, high strength, malt based kits and 1014 is again, not far off the target.

In fact, for mine, you have done OK and these will make very good beer indeed.

Looking at some of this OG's the FG's look fine. As a general rule of thumb the higher the OG the higher the FG.

For the brews you've put both OG and FG

AG#1 attenuation 78%AA
AG#2 attenuation 75%AA

Both fine. Attenuation of 75%-80% is classed as high. Anything over is very high

Agreed. Those are some very high gravity beers. Kudos on getting them to those FGs.

Thanks chaps that's put my mind at rest a bit, I've just been calibrating my hydrometer and it's about. .2 out at room temp so they aren't as high as I thought either.

I too used to overlook Manor Park and my school Duke of Norfolk... small world.

As said high FG are a factor of high OG because of the difficult to ferment sugar. You also have the fact that alcohol kills the yeast eventually.

To get more easily fermentable sugar sparge at lower temp (70 C saw my batches drop to 1005) but beware that it makes the beer lack body.

Back