Yeast past sell-by date - duh!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourel

Reaction score
Somewhat of a newbie, brewing for about 15 years but with a lot of gaps. Patience please...

Realized via a dream during the night that the yeast I pitched 23 hours ago was past its sell by date. Or maybe my brain is past its sell-by date since I thought 2009/05 was still a month away. It's looking like there's some activity in there (the lid of the pail has swelled up, the water in the air lock has moved). Should I throw in an extra pack of yeast now to be on the safe side or should I take heart from the encouraging first signs of activity.
Thanks in advance!

Don't worry it should take off maybe a little slower than usual ( cos it takes time to wake up after a 12 month sleep wouldn't you :lol: ). If it does look like it's struggling after 2 days I'd go with another packet of yeast and rehydrate this packet before hand just to give it faster start.

Thanks for the reassurance!

I feel so dumb, especially having given my husband a HUGE lecture mid-brew yesterday about the necessity of being super rigorous when brewing so you don't end up chucking the whole thing. Ahem...

Don't come and what my brewdays then! I'm not super Rigorous not even rigorous, more casual not even that :hmm: laid back Thats more like it :lol:

I have used yeast that is past it's use by date though the most was six months past not almost a year. We tend to use a trick learned back in the states which is the night before we make up a starter kit of 100 grams malt extract and 500ml water that is boiled and cooled together and pitch the yeast in that and let it sit until the next day when we are going to pitch it in the wort. Gives a wonderful start to the batch almost all the time and makes for a very smooth ferment over all (though must have space at the top of the fermenter or you will have mess and blow off issues.

Just got in batch of supplies from the gent down in Colchester and was very helpful and supplies got here the next day. I shop Edina as often as possible but wanted supplies and couldn't get out of the house for things needing done.

Michael

Drinking
Sparrow Hawk Porter (Dark American type that puts many a stout to shame)
Naked Sunday Brown and it is a wonderful red brown will post pic's

preparing for two more batches and a third in the wings.

Back