Yeast for Ginger Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
Quickie question

Is it ok to use a S04 yeast for Ginger Beer, just that I have a few of them knocking around in the freezer.

Cheers Neil

Should be fine ... go ahead an use it.
:cheers:

I always use champagne yeast... it gives a crisper, cleaner taste but I can't see any reason why you shouldn't use it.

Thanks Tony.

I did want to use a champers yeast but forgot to buy it at the HB shop today. I'm too impatient to wait until tomorrow !!.

Cheers Neil :thumb:

Cheers Dunfie

I have the ginger simmering at the moment, my house smells like a backstreet Thai slum !!.

Cheers Neil :thumb:

What sort of final gravity / residual sweetness do you get with S-04 ? I use GP wine yeast and have to use huge amounts of Splenda to get it back to a sensible level of sweetness ( a whole 125g box in 5 gallons) as it drops to around .997 ( tastes great though, and looking forward to my experimental one with added jalapeno in the boil)

Cheers
Paul

Tony said:
Ooooo... I like the sound of that. Great idea!
:cheers:

I had half a gallon or so left after kegging my last batch so decided to have some fun with it, boiled up some more ginger with half a ( very large ) jalapeno and added some more sugar to boost the ABV as well. Got it fermenting out again now.

I tasted the boiled up mixture before adding the left over beer and it was super hot :twisted:

It'll either be a few odd bottles for fun or possibly inspiration for the next large batch, we shall see. :whistle:

That post inspired me to see if it was ready to bottle, and it was!!

Had a sneaky :whistle: taste as there was a bit left and it's great :thumb:
The chilli doesn't overpower the ginger which is still the intial hit, but it leaves you with a nice chilli afterburn. Rest bottled up and priming..

Good man .... I may have to give this a go. Thinking Scotch Bonnets maybe ... has a very distinctive taste which I like using with ginger when cooking.
Hmmmmm...

:D

Cheers H!

Back