filtration and flocculation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macsrevenge

Reaction score
hi everyone.

I have been thinking about experimenting with filtration for my next batch but dont want to give up on bottle conditioning. Thought the easiest way of doing this would then to be to add a new batch of yeast to the priming solution after filtering. I suppose this then opens up a whole range of new considerations. Should I be using a high flocculancy yeast to help keep my been nice and clear? Will a different yeast impart new flavours? With regards to the filtering itself does it significantly alter hop characteristics?

Looking forward to getting in and experimenting, what have been other people's experiences?

macsrevenge said:
Should I be using a high flocculancy yeast to help keep my been nice and clear?
Absolutely correct. I would be tempted to recommend using a lager yeast for your bottle conditioning purposes. I use W34/70 when I know or suspect that I won't have enough yeast left to provide adequate condition. You also don't need a massive amount of yeast, I would use no more than 0.1g dried yeast in a 25L batch.

macsrevenge said:
Will a different yeast impart new flavours?
Not at all, the amount of fermentation required to provide condition is minute compared to that for fermentation of the main batch.

macsrevenge said:
With regards to the filtering itself does it significantly alter hop characteristics?
That really depends on how much filtration you use. I use one micron nominal rated filters, and do not notice much of a drop in hop bitterness. If you use an absolute rated filter then there is a noticeable difference. If you are aware of this than it is possible to brew your beer to account for it, all you need to do is to increase the amount of bittering hops you use.

macsrevenge said:
what have been other people's experiences?
location beers is not something I find I need to do all the time, it is a useful technique to have in the armoury when you do have a particularly stubborn beer.if finings are insufficient to clear the beer than running it through a filter to give it a final polish works wonders. However, it won't shift persistent hazes, like a chill haze, where a dose of papain or polyclar is likely to be more effective.

Latest posts

Back