Lager Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there,
The final ingreadients have arrived for me to have a go at the La Chouffe style beer I keep banging on about.....clear candi sugar and a WhiteLab 550 Belgian ale yeast :clap:

I could not get any pilsner malt, so have had to compromise and use UK lager malt.
I am a bit confused about the mashing proceedure, but a lot of the stuff I've read says that modern lager malts are well modified and can be mashed using a simple, single infusion.

I'd like to avoid a decoction if possible, but am willing to give it a go if required.

So, please can someone confirm to me that I would indeed be okay to use lager malt in a single temperature infusion mash?
If so, what mash temperature would you recommend?
If a decoction is needed can someone suggest the step temperatures?

As ever, thanks in advance :cool:

NO MODERN MALT THAT WE CAN EASILY GET HOLD OF REQUIRES DECOCTION OR STEP MASHING

Having said that there are times when a decoction might be useful to give a particular flavour profile

Aleman said:
NO MODERN MALT THAT WE CAN EASILY GET HOLD OF REQUIRES DECOCTION OR STEP MASHING

You really mean that Aleman, eh :lol:
Thanks as ever for your help.

ATB

Latest posts

Back