I find your Black IPA disturbing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezraburke

DIPA Brewer
Reaction score
hJmTXeI.jpg

This is the second version of this recipe now with added molasses and honey. When I brewed this I hit an OG of 1.080 (target of 1.083) so if you can nail the efficiency on this you'll be onto a winner.

Technically this is a pseudo-lager (given the grain makeup) but the pilsner and carafa balance to bring a sweet, roasty taste to this black IPA which is suitably dried out (as per style guidelines) by the honey and molasses. For honey I used a dark manuka honey and for molasses i used Lyle's Black Treacle (the red tin you get in all good supermarkets). Finally, this needed a second packet of US-05 to get it up and running - quite a viscous brew.

I'd recommend aiming for a volume of 2.3 for Co2 when bottling. This brew was freshly carbonated after a week but aging (as i am intending to do) will aid in smoothing out the very rough alcohol front it has.

Pouring this one week after bottling the brew is jet black with a minimal tan coloured head. It has a hop-forward taste (cascade and chinook) with an aroma of alcohol, raisins and stout with minimal hop aroma prevalent at this point due to overwhelming alcohol. Mouthfeel is slick with pleasant carbonation (not fluffy, but definitely present) and a pleasingly subtle bitterness in the aftertaste.

Anyway, the recipe!
Batch Size: 17 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 19 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.071
Efficiency: 67% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.080
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 8.4%
IBU (tinseth): 109.61
SRM (morey): 42.21

FERMENTABLES:
4.25 kg - German - Pilsner (69.9%)
430 g - Flaked Barley (7.1%)
400 g - German - Carafa III (6.6%)
200 g - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (3.3%)
400 g - Molasses (6.6%)
200 g - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (3.3%)
200 g - Honey (3.3%)

HOPS:
50 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 50 min, IBU: 76.12
50 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 33.49
25 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 0 min
50 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 10 days
50 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 68 C, Time: 65 min, Amount: 8.3 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3.1 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Protafloc, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

I don't get what you mean pseudo lager , does look like one to me.

Anyway should be good, you will want to leave it a couple of months though I would have thought.

I often wondered though on these extra strong brews is it maybe better to rack into a glass carboy secondary and bulk age for a month or so before dry hopping then bottling. Since the aging will diminish the dry hop somewhat

I don't get what you mean pseudo lager , does look like one to me.

Anyway should be good, you will want to leave it a couple of months though I would have thought.

I often wondered though on these extra strong brews is it maybe better to rack into a glass carboy secondary and bulk age for a month or so before dry hopping then bottling. Since the aging will diminish the dry hop somewhat

As i understand it black IPA uses a more robust base malt, generally Maris Otter or similar two-row malt for flavour, but having previously brewed this recipe with MO i wasn't keen on the stronger taste. It did have a particular bitterness and tannin-rich taste.

I'd call it a pseudo-lager because i've used a black IPA template but instead of the tougher base malt i've used pilsner which is lighter and somewhat sweeter to my taste-buds and classically a lager base malt. However, this hasn't been lager conditioned and certainly isn't using a lager yeast so i'd consider that being the only point where it crosses into that territory!

I'd agree with late dry-hopping. For version three of this brew i will rack to a secondary and age for a few months before deploying dry hops and hop tea before bottling.

Very nice! Did you go to the effort of printing DIYDOG in its entirety?! :lol:

This beer was based on a particular example of black IPA i find to be the best in category.

The headbrewer of said brewery acquired a bottle of this, passed judgement and then gave me the recipe to the original. I have this stowed away and have modified my recipe accordingly.

Interestingly the original uses pilsner, not MO! Never thought my tastebuds were that good but apparently so!

The next generation (I Find Your Black IPA Disturbing V3) will be brewed in a few months' time...

Back