Old sayings. (parents used to say)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something most of us would have heard earlier in life when out and about...
You wait 'til I get you home

If something was really dark
It's as black as yer 'at

It's all fun and games until someone looses an eye!!

And

Oans, zwöa, g’suaffa! When growing up with the lads. Good luck translating that one ;)

military-style order to take a gulp of beer.

Don't talk with your mouth full!

Eat your vegetables, they're good for you.

I once heard my mothers friend telling her the best way to wear in a pair of new shoes, " you know the old saying... wear them a few times afore ye wear them " Eh????!!!!

Better the devil you know
No use crying over spilt milk
Early bird catches the worm
If you Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves

My father in law used to always say `It's got two chances' meaning something either will or won't happen. He was a farmer so usually it was about whether a sick sheep or something would survive.
You could apply it to most of the newby questions we get on the forum. `Have I ruined my beer' - It's got two chances...

Going to a party? Leave a phone number in case I need to call.

Going to a party? Who's going to be there?

Going to a party? Will the parents be home?

When i was a kid, late 50s early 60s, the sometimes reply to "whats for tea Mum" was "3 jumps at cupboard door" or "3 jumps at table leg". Now in my 60s still not got a clue what it meant, if i think on i will ask her tomorrow though i suspect it meant "we're skint so bugger all".

I have been trying to find the origins of a saying of my Grandmother’s…

Q, “What’s for lunch Grannie?”

Her answer Three Jumps at the cupboard door the only reference I could find was by Grannymar on another site which led me here.

Can you help?

‘Three jumps at the cupboard door’ was a phrase I learned from my late husband. He grew up in Co Durham in the 1920-30’s and his mother used it regularly when he asked “What is for lunch or tea”.
All young children ask at some time when feeling hungry “What’s for (insert meal)?” Mother’s or Grannies gave the quick answer ‘Three Jumps at the cupboard door’.

It means any of the following:

“Away out and play and let me get on, or there will be no dinner!”

“Stop annoying me or you will have to make it yourself!”

“You will have to jump up to the cupboard and see what you can reach!”

http://grannymar.com/2008/02/12/what-does-it-mean/

Back