help needed,laptop issue,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
my laptop is running 4gb ram.. im trying to upgrade it to 8,
the memory is the same spec as the 4g, yet the laptop wont boot up with it installed,
ive tried it on its own and together, it reads it in the bios but wont boot up windows,
the only difference is the old memory is 1.5v the new memory is 1.35v
lots of google research says it will adjust it to suit, however i can see the voltage in the bios,
any help would be appreciated ..
it is installed properly and i was grounded when opening the packet and installing it.

my laptop is running 4gb ram.. im trying to upgrade it to 8,
the memory is the same spec as the 4g, yet the laptop wont boot up with it installed,
ive tried it on its own and together, it reads it in the bios but wont boot up windows,
the only difference is the old memory is 1.5v the new memory is 1.35v
lots of google research says it will adjust it to suit, however i can see the voltage in the bios,
any help would be appreciated ..
it is installed properly and i was grounded when opening the packet and installing it.

try this website to confirm compatibility.

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en

put in the make and model if it lists 1.35v memory as being ok then its most likely you need a bios upgrade for your laptop to access the voltage settings if u cant see them. there is usually an advanced section where instead of auto you can adjust stuff.

Modern pc RAM is usually installed in matched pairs if its a dual channel motherboard, gone are the days when you would just pull out a 128mb stick and plug in a 512mb, the laptops motherboard manual should give you the correct config's to use.

Modern pc RAM is usually installed in matched pairs if its a dual channel motherboard, gone are the days when you would just pull out a 128mb stick and plug in a 512mb, the laptops motherboard manual should give you the correct config's to use.
This is probably the issue, matched pair would be the prefered route. Can you change to single channel in the bios? If not get another 8gb stick and make it 16gb the board probably supports it.

Oh just thought ecc - error checking! Check that the stick is correct for your board or bios settings. Might have had ecc in there before and this 8gb stick might be non-ecc or vice versa.

max supported is 8, which is why i went for a single 8g stick ,, i might have to try 2 x4g ,, i cant find a definitive answer though.

This is probably the issue, matched pair would be the prefered route. Can you change to single channel in the bios? If not get another 8gb stick and make it 16gb the board probably supports it.

Oh just thought ecc - error checking! Check that the stick is correct for your board or bios settings. Might have had ecc in there before and this 8gb stick might be non-ecc or vice versa.
wont let me change anything in the bios, its not how i remember it either, used to read possessor temp and fan speed, not in mine you cant

How many sim slots does it have 2 or 4? Sometimes the first slot (slot 1) is able to use single channel whereas slot 2 often doesn't. If you put in slot 2 for example try in slot 1. If this fails send back and try to get matched pair.

Latest posts

Back