GCSE Resits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning I was surprised to read that there is a mandate from on high that all school 'children' who fail to attain Maths and English GCSE C grade shall continue to have resits until they do (presumably until they leave).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39142646
This, as reported, means on one hand you have some who must attain the standard so that they can 'go to university' and some who have no real need since they are intending to become a tradesman (or woman).
In my view the whole thing is utter nonsense. If you ain't wired to attain the necessary standard and you can't get it right after three attempts say that's it. Everyone move on.
And the expectation that university is almost a right is a falsehood too. If you ain't good enough, you don't go. Find something that does match your skills base.
Finally the whole topic was summed up by the DofE spokesman as follows
"developing credible, high-quality options for students through reforming Functional Skills qualifications in maths and English, to make sure that they deliver the knowledge and skills that employers need, and consequently have credibility and prestige in the jobs market". Who writes this **** must have their head well and truly stuck up their own a**e.

When I did "O" levels it was all about learning all nine subjects and how good you were on the day in the exam. No course work or teacher assessed bits where you can score easy marks, it was all about cramming in as much stuff in your head as possible.

I was lucky in that I had an almost photographic memory, I could revise the day before and almost recite the topics as they were written. True learning ? Probably not. BUT later when I did a Chemistry degree I found that the proper was to learn is to learn to apply what you can remember and not just repeat it.

It seems a bit like " you will keep doing it until you pass" is not a proper way to get people to learn anything, at some point they may hit lucky ( with help) or just think sod it, this is not for me and give up. not sure what the value of that is for anyone!

Same as you took 'O' levels wasn't all just memory had to work things out in the exam, but as you say even with course work GCSE's should be easier to pass. The thing is a lot of those that are failing don't do the course work in the first place, then years later the gov' end up having to pay for them to go on basic skills courses for Math's and English. Some do need extra help to get to a reasonable standard of math's and English just to manage in the everyday world let alone pass the exam, although £50,000 for an exam hall is just simply complete waste of money.

Difficult thing, on the one hand there is an expectation for everyone to leave school with a decent grasp of literacy and numeracy else the system has failed somewhat but on the other hand there will be kids who just don't have the aptitude for it and their skills will lie elsewhere e.g. craftsmanship.

It's amusing for me as I had to have three goes to pass an English GCSE as it was requirement for me to get a place at University to do an Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree and rightly so. I wouldn't have been much good at University or in the workplace now if my written English was not upto scratch. Annoyingly I'd passed (C and above) all my other GCSEs at the first go including English literature and was at that stage well on the way to three A levels too. I always jokingly blame the two years we had an English teacher at school who happened to be American and had absolutely no control over a class. We spent those two years doing pretty much nothing in his classes other than messing around.

Got there in the end though!

I can't speak for all trades but when I did my electrician apprenticeship, you needed a Maths, English and IT GCSE (or equivalent) grade C. I remember having to do a really easy online IT test because my school didn't teach IT at GCSE level.

Latest posts

Back