Storing partly used vacuum packed hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbowden

Regular.
Reaction score
HI Everyone,
just done my first AG!!(pics etc soon!) and have opened and partly used packets of vacuum packed hops left to be used again. Whats the best way to store these?
I was going to cling film the packets and freeze them?

tim

I open the packs (carefully) use what I need, close the opened pack with one of THESE and put them back in the freezer :D

I open the pack use what I need and them put the rest into a bag and use one of these . . . then they go back into the freezer until She tries to put food in there and notices :evil:

When I complained that there wasn't enough room in my freezer for the hops with all She's food in it . . . . I had a strange Blackout and came to with a splitting headache . . . and She had replaced the frying pan . . . apparently there was a big dent in the old one :hmm:

Bonus is that I can have a Freezer in the brewery . . . Downside is that I have to tidy it all up and clear out all of my 'Junk' :twisted:

I do as A. Before the purchase of a vac sealer I used to put the opened packs into an airtight container and then freeze it.
When I complained that there wasn't enough room in my freezer for the hops with all She's food in it . . . . I had a strange Blackout and came to with a splitting headache . . . and She had replaced the frying pan . . . apparently there was a big dent in the old one
:lol:

what do you do regarding malt then
Malt is best stored in cool dry conditions. If you have to store it in a garage it's best to put it in a metal bin of some sort to stop rats and mice from getting interested.
Even better is to store it in an airtight drum which can be had quite cheaply on E-Bay :thumb:

With grain,I've a couple of 60L type blue ex olive containers.I then bag up(twice) and store in the air tight container and leave in the garage.
Hops I use vac sealer,then freezer. :thumb:

Hops - re-sealed with a vac packer. Then in the freezer.
I had a vac packer before I got seriously in to home brew.....great addition to any household IMHO. So many uses.

Malt generally sits in the corner of my rarely used conservatory.....but I am under pressure from SWMBO on that one :oops:
Speciality grains (biscuit malt, crystal, roast barley etc) have their own airtight tubs and live in a cupboard in the kitchen......I only manage to get away with this as SWMBO can't reach it :lol:

Base Malt in sacks in big drums with sachets (500g) of Silica Gel

Speciality malt . . . Vac Packed

From now on all my malt is whole :party:

So that the enzimes can turn the starch flour into sugar
The vast majority of the starch is carried in the grain fragments and not in the flour.
The flour actually creates more problems than benefits. Unless it is effectively removed, proteinous matter within the flour can create haze and other unwanted brewing issues, further down the line.
Personally, when I get to the bottm of a sack of crushed malt I get rid of the flour before brewing with the grains.

Vossy1 said:
So that the enzimes can turn the starch flour into sugar
The vast majority of the starch is carried in the grain fragments and not in the flour.
The flour actually creates more problems than benefits. Unless it is effectively removed, proteinous matter within the flour can create haze and other unwanted brewing issues, further down the line.
Personally, when I get to the bottm of a sack of crushed malt I get rid of the flour before brewing with the grains.

Quite an old thread, but I remember reading this at the time and I am just about to get to the bottom of a sack of malt.
So, I am well advised to sieve off the majority of the flour from the bottom of a bag?
I suppose at the top of the bag, the flour is less concentrated so as not to contribute to haze?

Latest posts

Back