Leaf v Pellet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was looking at the amount of wort captured by my hops last weekend and started wondering (dangerous!)...

Has anyone had any experience of using hop pellets? I've never even considered it before, thinking that it's just not cricket and all that. But, if it cuts down on the amount of leaf hanging around at the bottom of the boiler, holding on to my precious wort, this could be an advantage.

Also, would my hop strainer work if I used pellets? Do they release more particles into the wort? From a quick scan of HBS on the web, there doesn't seem to be a great variety available anyway, so this mat all be a trifle moot :D

Just wondered what your experience of using them has been?

:cheers:

Pellets are great . .. they have much better storage capabilities than whole leaf hops . . . but they do disintegrate to powder in the kettle . . . I use a Hop Stopper with #30 mesh in my kettle and with some leaf hops it does a good job of holding back pellet gunk . . . but #40 mesh would be better. . . . especially if I did a pellet only brew. . . . a standard hop manifold would let all the gunk through.

Following on from that, a whirlpool vessel, and a 45min to 1 hr 80 degree stand will remove the trub even more effectively, but obviously works out a bit more expensive, and lengthens the brewday, a strainer and a small hopback is also a possible solution.

UP

I am in complete agreement with Aleman :thumb:
95% of my hop usage is with pellets now, I built a hop stopper CLICKY with #40 mesh and nothing get through it, but the run off rate is still good :D

Excellent replies .. many thanks folks!

So as far as flavour is concerned, there is little or no difference?

Love that strainer, I'm going to have to rip that off :D Can I ask where you buy them from?

Is it necessary to store them in the freezer as i do with my leaf?

Thanks again! :cheers:

Tony said:
None whatsoever :thumb:

Tony said:
Love that strainer, I'm going to have to rip that off :D Can I ask where you buy them from?
I don't think they are commercially available in this country :wha: I made my own as I think did Aleman, there are links to the various parts suppliers on my thread, or if you ask him nicely, muddydisco will probably build one for you :thumb:

Tony said:
Yes continue to store them in the freezer :)

Tony said:

I'm in the process of working out how I'm going to utilise one of these, as a hop strainer, but I will be needing a man with a tig methinks.

hop-strainer.jpg

UP

wow .....

about...... tissues (best sgt major voice)

Many thanks again!

They're ideal for dry hopping, they break up and sink to the bottom, releasing their oils on the way, and they don't take up much volume. A decent amount of dry hopping with whole hops can steal a significant amount of beer.

Pellets aren't easily available in the UK though.

:cheers: mysterio

Yes .. seen some for sale but not a great deal.

This leads me onto another question... with the (leaf) hops used for dry hopping, is it ok to squeeze the hops to release the worty goodness? I know it's a no-no to do this with the boil hops.

unclepumble said:
Tony said:

I'm in the process of working out how I'm going to utilise one of these, as a hop strainer, but I will be needing a man with a tig methinks.

hop-strainer.jpg

UP

Similar to mine that Uncle, let me guess??? hydraulic oil filter :hmm: I borrowed one from work, works fantastic!!l
Look at my run off :D
Wort-1.jpg

BB

I saw that in your earlier post BB .. thought you'd cheated!
;)

That is an outstanding run off!

Tony said:
I saw that in your earlier post BB .. thought you'd cheated!
;)
That is an outstanding run off!
No honest, that's how it is after returning 2 - 3 litre of first runnings! :D
Picture of it, it's discoloured now after a few 1000 pints
HopFilter.jpg

Once it stops flowing on the flat I keep tilting with a lump of wood under the back end it to get as much wort out as possible, waste is quite low and hops are damp, not saturated. :D

Good tip there, something I'll be trying :-)

mysterio said:
They're ideal for dry hopping, they break up and sink to the bottom, releasing their oils on the way, and they don't take up much volume. A decent amount of dry hopping with whole hops can steal a significant amount of beer.

Pellets aren't easily available in the UK though.

Latest posts

Back