HBUs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growler

Regular.
Reaction score
Ok this may be a silly question but

I have found a recipe for a Brown Ale most of which is simple but it tells me to use Target hops and the quantity is 6.5 HBUs can someone please tell me what is a HBU in volume/weight
from googling it I know it is Hops Bittering Unit but :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha: :wha:

Think you maybe confusing quantity of hops and there alpha acid content :wha:
Just that 6.5 sounds quite low, well that's if HBU is similar to IBU.
IBU's are used to measure the bitterness of a brew, most of my bitters have been around 30 IBU
When you buy hops the AA (alpha acid) will be on the packaging, say fuggle will be around 4% AA

HBU = home bittering unit.

HBU = alpha acid content x no. of ounces used.

So if you had 2oz of 4% fuggles in a brew = 8HBU

edit to add - HBU are a convenient way of making hop substitutions for the home brewer.
IBU's are a much more scientific measure of hop bitterness and in my mind is more of a utilisation measure with factors such as boil volume, kettle dimetions, wort gravity (and others) comming in to play.

wow that was quick thanks

this is for a 5 gallon brew as I want to start small

so when I get my target hops it will say what the alpha acid content is so I will be able to work out from that how much I need

weight (oz) x AA % = HBU
4 oz x 4% = 16 HBU

or

HBU divided by AA% = weight (oz)
16 HBU divided 4% = 4 oz

is that right?

Yes Growler, your thinking is correct.

To me HBU's are really only of use when you are substituting hops that a recipe calls for that you don't have (well, with my limited knowledge it is anyway)
For example you may have found a recipe that someone made up in which they used EKG hops to 20HBU's.
Okay, you don't have any EKG's but you do have a pack of Fuggles with a known AA content and therefore you can bitter to the same level.

Do you use any brewing software Growler? Promash, BeerSmith et al??
I would really suggest getting a copy of something like this.....I think it is invaluable.
I use BeerSmith and the one of the great things I like about it is that when you pick a style to brew it will give you the range of parameters you are aiming for.....colour, abv, bitterness etc. This allows you to look at the way late addition hops affect the bittering of the beer.
Eg - you could use the same overall amount (weight) of hops in a brew, but where they are added in the boil will make a big difference to the bittering.

Hope my ramblings are of some use.

ATB

I found this on on another site and as I'm not sure of cross site procedure and I don't want to upset anyone I'm finding it quite akward to explain

the recipe only calls for two types of hops

goldings for flavour and target for bittering it also tells you when to put them in to the boil

Am I correct in thinking I could use any bittering type hops as long as I use that formula for the HBUs

Yes,

If I am thinking about this correct:
If the original recipe gives the AA values, then it is fairly straightforward.....if not you can use an approximation from average hop AA values that can be found on the net etc.

Calculate the amount of HBU's in the original recipe for the bittering and aroma hops.
Work out the equivalent HBU's of the hops you are using and then use these at the time interval(s) stated in the recipe.

ATB :cool:

Back