Coopers Ale Yeast - is it 'magic'?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping_Mad

Regular.
Reaction score
Trying to find my 'go to' non-premium IPA kit, I thought I'd try the Coopers Selection IPA and do it 'as per instructions' - which is what I have done - kit LME, 500 gms of light spraymalt and 300 gms dextrose.

Rehydrated yeast with a little dextrose (very happy after 30 mins and bubbling), stuck it on at 22*C on Saturday at an SG of 1038, and kept it at a steady temp.

Normally I would only check for a Krausen on day 2 then not look for another 10 days, but seeing as it was a kit I hadn't done before I checked the gravity this evening (3 days in). Well blow me - the gravity is 1007 already!!! :-o

It's not frothed over, just a bit of a krausen ring on the lid, temp been pretty steady 22*C, all normal!

Is Coopers yeast normally this quick, or did I just optimise the yeast and fermentation conditions?

I'm still going to leave it my usual two weeks before bottling, but I wondered if anyone else has had this experience with a Coopers kit?

I've just been doing a Cooper's based chocolate and vanilla stout, with extra Cooper's dark malt extract, chocolate malt, cacao powder and vanilla extract, and set it going on Sunday afternoon at a controlled 21 degrees, using the yeast supplied with the Cooper's Stout tin. Not much activity for about 24hrs, then off it went. The airlock was going nuts yesterday and, upon inspection, a good amount of krausen. Whilst I haven't checked the SG things have slowed down considerably, perhaps only one bubble from the airlock every couple of minutes., and the krausen has disappeared. I'll give it another 24hrs and take the SG reading. It started at 1044. I'll post again tomorrow with an update. From what I've read, Cooper's kits work fast.

Trying to find my 'go to' non-premium IPA kit, I thought I'd try the Coopers Selection IPA and do it 'as per instructions' - which is what I have done - kit LME, 500 gms of light spraymalt and 300 gms dextrose.

Rehydrated yeast with a little dextrose (very happy after 30 mins and bubbling), stuck it on at 22*C on Saturday at an SG of 1038, and kept it at a steady temp.

Normally I would only check for a Krausen on day 2 then not look for another 10 days, but seeing as it was a kit I hadn't done before I checked the gravity this evening (3 days in). Well blow me - the gravity is 1007 already!!! :-o

It's not frothed over, just a bit of a krausen ring on the lid, temp been pretty steady 22*C, all normal!

Is Coopers yeast normally this quick, or did I just optimise the yeast and fermentation conditions?

I'm still going to leave it my usual two weeks before bottling, but I wondered if anyone else has had this experience with a Coopers kit?

Hi there

I started my first Coopers kit on Sunday, a Lager kit. Having just brewed a St Peter's Ruby Red Ale 2 can kit a fortnight previously. I did everything by the book really, Coopers brew enhancer 1 and no other additives, really stirred up the wort as the water was being added, pitched the yeast and sealed the bin then put the air lock on and left in a room at 27 degrees. Checked it that night and nothing was happening air-lock wise. had a quick peek under lid and there was about 1mm of head coverage. Monday morning had another look, still no air-lock activity, however head thickness about 3mm, never checked for rest of Monday. Tuesday morning, the whole thing has went crazy during the night and has been right up to the inside of the FV lid and has died back to about 50mm, nice thick creamy Krausen. Air-lock not bubbling but showing constant pressure. I know now what everyone means when they say that patience is needed when brewing. Will forget about it now for another 12 days then take a FG and then bottle.

Hi there

I started my first Coopers kit on Sunday, a Lager kit. Having just brewed a St Peter's Ruby Red Ale 2 can kit a fortnight previously. I did everything by the book really, Coopers brew enhancer 1 and no other additives, really stirred up the wort as the water was being added, pitched the yeast and sealed the bin then put the air lock on and left in a room at 27 degrees. Checked it that night and nothing was happening air-lock wise. had a quick peek under lid and there was about 1mm of head coverage. Monday morning had another look, still no air-lock activity, however head thickness about 3mm, never checked for rest of Monday. Tuesday morning, the whole thing has went crazy during the night and has been right up to the inside of the FV lid and has died back to about 50mm, nice thick creamy Krausen. Air-lock not bubbling but showing constant pressure. I know now what everyone means when they say that patience is needed when brewing. Will forget about it now for another 12 days then take a FG and then bottle.

Sometimes you see nothing in the airlock and your bin may have a leak (which is nothing really to worry about as long as it is fitted on okay)

Although 27ºc sounds way to warm for a brew what yeast was you using for that??

On topic I have heard although cannot confirm that coopers yeast often has some nutrient in.. Cannot for the life of it remember where I heard of it might have even been Craigtube as he often says coopers yeast is quick

Sometimes you see nothing in the airlock and your bin may have a leak (which is nothing really to worry about as long as it is fitted on okay)

Although 27ºc sounds way to warm for a brew what yeast was you using for that??

On topic I have heard although cannot confirm that coopers yeast often has some nutrient in.. Cannot for the life of it remember where I heard of it might have even been Craigtube as he often says coopers yeast is quick

I'm almost certain it has,it never ever fails and I have had the three day ferment also,bottled after 1 week and drinking after two in the bottle although some say other yeasts give off a cleaner taste I have no complaints. :hat:

Must be good stuff from the sounds of it then!

I'm now wondering if I might be able to bottle it before my usual 14 days then. I'm sure if I wait the full two weeks the yeasties will have had a good clean up, but I might go for it earlier if the gravity is stable.

Commercial Brewers manage to ferment out batches in less than a week, so I suppose if us homebrewers get the same quality yeast and achieve similar fermentation conditions, then we can achieve similar results.

Checked brew this morning. That's 3 and a half days and the airlock has levelled out and gravity is down to 1018. Temperature in room has been a constant 21-22 degrees. I take it this is the normal brewing period for this kit.

Gave the FV a little swirl about last night and now this morning the lid is now bulging again and air-lock showing pressure too. Maybe it was just having a wee rest....!!

Back