cooker not man enough. Topping up?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenhorn

Regular.
Reaction score
While doing my first AG yesterday, I found out that my induction hob isn't up to boiling 10L of wort. the highest I could get it was 96°c, with the lid on. I ended up having to split the boil and doing 5L in two pots. This worked but was a bit of a faff.

I thought back to my one kit experience and the adding of extract to 3L and then topping up with more water.

When funds allow, I'll buy myself a proper boiler, but for the time being, is there any reason why I can't use a smaller, more concentrated mash and boil and then top up with more water when I transfer to the FV? I could boil and then cool the extra while the mash is resting, which would also help with getting the wort temp down quicker for adding the yeast.

The only thing I can think of is that changing the ratio of water to grain could affect things.

Thoughts?

If your mash is thicker the efficiency will go down, and you'll need more hops for the same IBus in a more concentrated boil, and you'll probably get slightly darker wort because of more maillard reactions. I'd continue with 2* 5ltr boils for now and save up for a separate electric boiler.

I do what your proposing, Its called Maxi-Biab. I make 17L of wort in my 20L pot then dilute it in the FV.

All of what Tartan says is true, however

1) I usually get 72% efficiency. This is because I do two dunk sparges. There are other ways to up your efficiency such as if you grind you own grain crushing it finer or doing an overnight mash
2) Hop efficiency is lower in a concentrated wort but not much. I usually add 5 IBU more to account for this. Some people who Maxi-Biab don't even bother.
3) You will get darker wort but this is only going to bother you if you want to make the palest of beers. I only really make dark beers and bitters so this doesn't effect me

Cheers chaps. I think I'll play it by ear on a brew to brew basis. I'd like to try a pilsner in time for the summer and I think the mash one one of those would be tricky enough without splitting it as well.

Back