Dana single hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a packet of Dana hops that my wife got me but haven't had before so do this:
4.7kg of Maris Otter
250g of Carapils

22g Dana 12.8% at 70mins
11g at 15
11g at 05
33g at flameout

1 profloc tab at 15 mins

Pitched around 22c with US-05
OG 1052

Never used these before so any ideas on how this might turn out? Taste at pitch is bitterness in smooth sweet malt, but not sharp bitterness but deep down and lingering. There was a taste in here that I know but I can't place it but something beer related!

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops

The below was taken from the above!

Dana Hops:

Also known as Styrian Dana hops for their Slavic origin, this aromatic hop is the result of breeding German Hallertau Magnum and a wild Slovenian male. What you can expect is a subtle floral and citrusy aroma that adds character to styles like Belgian Ales and Pale Ales. With an alpha acid range around 7.2% up to 13%, this hop can also be used for bittering. However they are mostly used for aromatics in any brew. When substituting for Dana hops in your brew, try a similar Styrian varietal like Celeia or Bobek. Taste this unique hop in commercial brews like New Belgium’s Hop The Pond Double IPA where it is used as one of the dry-hops.

I heard they taste of "all kinds of everything." :thumb:

One for the older Irish contingent there.

giphy.gif

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/homebrew_beer_hops

The below was taken from the above!

Dana Hops:

Also known as Styrian Dana hops for their Slavic origin, this aromatic hop is the result of breeding German Hallertau Magnum and a wild Slovenian male. What you can expect is a subtle floral and citrusy aroma that adds character to styles like Belgian Ales and Pale Ales. With an alpha acid range around 7.2% up to 13%, this hop can also be used for bittering. However they are mostly used for aromatics in any brew. When substituting for Dana hops in your brew, try a similar Styrian varietal like Celeia or Bobek. Taste this unique hop in commercial brews like New Belgium’s Hop The Pond Double IPA where it is used as one of the dry-hops.

Thanks for this, it will be interesting how these turn out. I did a similar beer with Boudicia hops and that turned out to be an interesting pint. I was going to dry hop it with some of the remaining hops in the packet to see what sort of aromas I will get. May turn out nice or not...worth a punt though.

I dry hopped this for four days with the rest of the hops in the packet and regretted it slightly later when I read bad things about the taste that dry hopping this particular hop gives off. However, couldn't do anything to it so left it for four days and then moved it to the bottling bucket. Had a taste to see how horrible it was and found that it was actually very nice. Can't yet put my finger on what it tastes like, certainly nothing like the flowery hops or ones like EKG etc so will bottle it and see what it comes out like after carbonation has played its part.

Bottled this a couple of days ago and it was quite drinkable already. Mildly floral with a slight bitterness that I know will probably go shortly. Not in the US hops category for fruitiness by any means but quite like the Boudica hop pale I did. I think this could be quite nice in a lager/ale type hybrid way.

Bottled this a couple of days ago and it was quite drinkable already. Mildly floral with a slight bitterness that I know will probably go shortly. Not in the US hops category for fruitiness by any means but quite like the Boudica hop pale I did. I think this could be quite nice in a lager/ale type hybrid way.

I used it in my IPA but I hear its maybe a lighter more delicate flavour , some people seem to think it is a bit lime or lemony??

Have you ever done a brew with Boudica? I noticed St Peters brewery use it and want to give it a go. Not seen it anywhere though that i can recall.

Have you ever done a brew with Boudica? I noticed St Peters brewery use it and want to give it a go. Not seen it anywhere though that i can recall.

Yes I did a boudica single hop with 5.5kg of Maris Otter and 220g of Wheat. Used Notty yeast. It was quite a light IPA in taste although it was 46 IBU as the hop itself is very much in the background. Pleasent but not in your face and quite floral.

Cheers, i should try some single hop brews and more UK hops.

I did a Goldings single hop which wasn't great, ok but not great, but the Amarillo, cascade, boudica and others have turned out really nice. This Dana one though may become my favourite. Still young at the moment but lovely delicate slightly fruity/floral flavours at this stage. It is still in carbonation stage and I have already had three. I must leave them alone so I can really enjoy them later when they are officially ready!

This is a lovely beer...the Dana hop gives it a delicate lemony/sweetness with a lovely aroma and a clean sharpness. This is better than the naked lady I was drinking on Friday!

Two months on and this is a lovely beer, light in colour, smooth and slightly fruity with a bit of lemon edge to it. Good head that stays all the way down. The hop gives it a good sharp bitterness but it is not overpowering but subtle. I would love this if bought in a pub. This went down with the beer drinkers at a do I had to my house yesterday.

Had a couple last night and when warmer than normal (took them into work) this beer had a quite lovely bubblegum smell and taste, very nice and quite sweet. I am going to brew this again.

Back