Mixing lager yeast in the same batch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffer

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I'm about to brew my first lager this weekend and purchase a packet of dried yeast(Saflager S-23).

Schoolboy error - assumed 1 pack would be enough for the 23L batch but, after reading the instructions (albeit rather late) it appears that 1 pack is not enough.

My LHBS stocks Bavarian lager yeast but I'm not sure what the adverse effects are of adding two different types of lager yeast together are?

I've mixed ale yeasts before in a pale ale and it was fine (more than fine in fact)

So I'm about to brew my first lager this weekend and purchase a packet of dried yeast(Saflager S-23).

Schoolboy error - assumed 1 pack would be enough for the 23L batch but, after reading the instructions (albeit rather late) it appears that 1 pack is not enough.

My LHBS stocks Bavarian lager yeast but I'm not sure what the adverse effects are of adding two different types of lager yeast together are?

I've mixed ale yeasts before in a pale ale and it was fine (more than fine in fact)

You will be fine with the one, am on my second lager batch with this yeast( 1 packet reused on second brew and fermented just fine.)

The saflager 23 will be fine on its own, i have just set a Munich Helles going yesterday, using one packet of the same yeast, being a lager yeast it ferments at lower temps and takes longer than ale yeasts. Some of these lager kit yeasts are a mix of lager and ale yeasts so they can ferment at higher temps and quicker, Stick with your lager yeast keep away from warmth, just inside temps with out heating. and leave it 3 weeks then transfer to another FV and leave cold for a week then bring inside some were warm for a week diacetyl rest then back out side cold for three -four weeks then bottle. You can also use the yeast again. When you transfer your first lager to the secondary FV, just scrape the yeast from the bucket into a dish , wash the bucket then wack another lager kit into the bucket, then just fire the yeast in seal and away you go, you can do this for has many lager kits you want to make in tandem

Personally, I would use the M76 and the S-23 rather than just the S-23. Both are very clean yeasts, so I think it is very unlikely that there would be any unpleasant yeast-yeast interactions.

I've never used either yeast but at a guess the bavarian yeast will produce a more malty brew than the S23 as german lagers are generally known for being more malty. What mixing them with poduce, I have no idea but nothing bad I dont think

Latest posts

Back