Dried yeast: one sachet or two?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatsmyleg

Reaction score
My most recent brew was made putting a recipe together on Brewer's Friend. When I put the yeast sachet into the recipe (Safale US-05) it said there was a deficit, and that I needed to add more. So I put 2 sachets in. But I'm puzzled - I've made a few brews before, and have always just put one sachet in, without any problems at all. Why is Brewer's Friend telling me to put in 2? I've heard from people before that you should put in 2, but I've never had a problem getting the fermentation started with just 1.

Ah! I was making a red ale, so presumably could have comfortably got away with just one.

I only use one pack for both ale and lager, depending on size of packet, but with the saflager pkt i use one , yeast multiplies , see what other people say but i have a 5gl Munich Helles lager doing ok and that was just one pkt of saflager.

Any real worries then always make sure you hydrate it before pitching to make sure you give it the best start. It can make quite a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My most recent brew was made putting a recipe together on Brewer's Friend. When I put the yeast sachet into the recipe (Safale US-05) it said there was a deficit, and that I needed to add more. So I put 2 sachets in. But I'm puzzled - I've made a few brews before, and have always just put one sachet in, without any problems at all. Why is Brewer's Friend telling me to put in 2? I've heard from people before that you should put in 2, but I've never had a problem getting the fermentation started with just 1.

I've fermented up to 21 litres of 12.86% with one packet of yeast (but it was re-hydrated) sprinkling yeast directly on top of wort can zap 50% of them. Re-hydrating yeast is the way to go, you'll very rarely need more than one 10 or 11g packet for your brew.

I had no idea you didn't have to rehydrate. I always assumed it was part of its use?

Currently fermenting an 8.5% double and a 3.5% Pale each of which has had one packet of Bry-97.

Seemed odd to me only one pack would be required for the double but that was my recommendation from a commercial brewer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I had no idea you didn't have to rehydrate. I always assumed it was part of its use?

Currently fermenting an 8.5% double and a 3.5% Pale each of which has had one packet of Bry-97.

Seemed odd to me only one pack would be required for the double but that was my recommendation from a commercial brewer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've never rehydrated before, I always just sprinkled it on the top and never had a problem.

Will rehydrate from now on though, thanks for the advice everyone!

Latest posts

Back