DIESEL car scrappage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I own a 9 year old diesel car which i bought as i was doing a lot of miles commuting to work and that was the only reason, i am now to believe i am polluting the planet and the nice government are going to give me more than its worth to get it off the road, unlike them i am not on £60,000+ a year plus expenses and i do not have the money to put towards a new car so unless they give me enough money to buy a new car i will be keeping mine, why does it have to be a new car why cant we replace the old polluting diesel with a cleaner second hand car?

Are they going to chase the owners of busses/coaches, trucks and ships etc that do far more damage than us car drivers?

express_logo.png

A DIESEL car scrappage scheme could soon see Brits earn up to £8,500 for their clapped-out old vehicles.

Anyone in the UK with a diesel car or van more than 10 years old is likely to be eligible to get whopping discounts off a low-emission replacement.

The Government is keen to rid Britain’s roads of diesel cars by 2030 and officials are considering copying an extremely successful French scheme, where drivers of the worst polluting cars are effectively handed up to €10,000 to switch to a new, super-clean model. More than 100,000 people in France now drive all-electric cars, which are now more popular in the country than hybrids.

Officials from the Departments for Transport and the Environment are in advanced talks about the plan, which could be announced by Chancellor Philip Hammond as soon as the Budget on March 22.

Ministers are conscious that successive governments encouraged drivers to buy diesel until recently, wrongly believing they were better for the environment. As a result, the new scheme will incentivise diesel drivers to switch, rather than punish them.

It follows a hugely successful scrappage scheme for old cars introduced in 2009 which saw 300,000 drivers replace their car in the first year. Under that programme, designed to boost the car industry in the wake of the recession, motorists were given £1,000 from the Government - matched by car manufacturers - to change their vehicle. It boosted new car sales by as much as 26%.

The new scheme would be far more ambitious by seeking to replace the most-polluting cars in Britain with the very cleanest, with punchy discounts to match.

Currently drivers buying an electric vehicle in the UK can get a £4,500 contribution towards the cost.

But it is thought the new scheme is likely to be based closely on the successful French pilot, which launched a year ago. Under that system drivers receive £3,300 (€4,000) for handing in an old diesel and buying a new, clean vehicle.

They then receive up to a purchase bonus of up to £5,200 (€6,000) on the new car, depending on how environmentally friendly it is.

Talks have already taken place with the UK Treasury, which will finance the scheme, and a pilot is expected to focus on areas of Britain where pollution is worst, before a nationwide rollout.

News of the diesel scrappage plans comes as it emerged just 78,778 diesel cars were sold in January, 4.3 per cent less than last year.

Over the same period sales of electric cars jumped by 19.9%, with 7,270 electric cars and hybrids sold in January.

For the first time, “alternatively fuelled” vehicles now account for more than 4 per cent of cars on the road, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT).

Chris Grayling, the Transport Secretary and a close ally of Prime Minister Theresa May, is believed to support the radical initiative.

He said: "The irony is that a decade ago, because of concerns about carbon emissions there was a drive towards diesel... that we now know has a different set of negative effects.

“The Department for the Environment is currently preparing, and will launch shortly, our strategy to take tackling the diesel problem to the next level.”

He added: “There is no question that in the future we are going to have to move to lower-emission vehicles. We need to do it soon.

“I would like to see a migration of people away from current technologies to lower-emission technologies. We are providing incentives to do that now and we will be doing more in the months ahead."

A Treasury spokesman said: "The Government continues to keep all taxes under review and any changes are announced at fiscal events.”

Express.co.uk has contacted the Department of Transport for comment.

Its an interesting argument Chippy. Ive just bought a new second hand car 3 months ago and went for a petrol, since I just knew that the gov. were going to hammer diesels. What gets my goat (alluding to your post) is the thousands of Liners floating around the ocean, contributing nothing to society and burning millions of tons of ****, just so you can see an Iceberg or some cesspit in the Med.

I own a 9 year old diesel car which i bought as i was doing a lot of miles commuting to work and that was the only reason, i am now to believe i am polluting the planet and the nice government are going to give me more than its worth to get it off the road, unlike them i am not on �£60,000+ a year plus expenses and i do not have the money to put towards a new car so unless they give me enough money to buy a new car i will be keeping mine, why does it have to be a new car why cant we replace the old polluting diesel with a cleaner second hand car?

Are they going to chase the owners of busses/coaches, trucks and ships etc that do far more damage than us car drivers?

express_logo.png

60k ? Pin money my dear chippy. The useless feckers are actually on 74k plus expenses soon to rise to 76k

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...pay-risewhile-public-sector-workers-face-cap/

Take a look at this.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/p...unces-order-of-giant-gas-powered-cruise-ferry

However, it's a double-edged sword. :doh:

Would you sleep better on a ship that has a few hundred tons of fuel-oil down in the bilges or one that has a few hundred tons of liquefied natural gas bubbling away under your feet?

Fuel-oil may be deadly to the marine environment, but if you remember the SS Torrey Canyon they couldn't even ignite the oil it was carrying with napalm bombs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Torrey_Canyon

But the volatility of liquefied natural gas is legendary.

https://www.laohamutuk.org/Oil/LNG/app4.htm

Enjoy! :thumb:

Stuff that. I love my diesel and can't stand tree-hugging Greenpeace types. I'd rather walk than drive an electric car, which aren't 'green' anyway - where do they think the fuel comes from to power the power stations which recharge their cars? Honestly these climate-change ****wits want locking up cos it all started with them. An' anyway you can't beat the smell of nitrogen oxides and partially burned hydrocarbons on a morning.

Reactions: Cqr
I've only ever owned a euro 5 & euro 6 diesel.

In fact I didn't buy a VW touran back in 2007 because their DPF was an optional extra. The Kia carens I bought instead a DPF fitted as standard. I never wanted to see a cloud of smoke in my rear view mirror when I put my foot down.

I now have a mazda cx5 2.2d - which when I bought it new (2013) had the lowest emissions of any car in its class.

The government haven't come clean (no pun intended) about petrol TSFI engines a little googling will lead to the truth.

On the subject of deception, 5 a day is now 10 a day re: fruit and veg. The government have known that 5 a day doesn't really cut it, but if they'd started out by saying 10 a day, no-one would have bothered at all. So they went for 5. Just like they chose 28 units of alcohol a week when they had no empirical evidence to back it up.

My motto is find the truth out for yourself and then try to do as little harm as possible with that knowledge :thumb:

Diesel scrappage.. :hmm: My diesel is a lot cleaner than many petrol cars on the road

better to offer it for anything older than euro 5 for diesels and euro 4 for petrols. :cool:

So it's now 10 fruit and veg a day?? Who dreams this junk up? Apart from chips I don't eat anything that didn't have a face when it was alive, sup vast amounts of alcohol and have a hallucinogenic nicotine intake. And I'm easily the fittest 52 year-old I know.

10 a day...all imported in diesel guzzling ships and flown in from everywhere because the supermarkets are allowed to screw the UK farmers.
My diesel will go when it falls in a heap. What are they supposing the hgv firms do...get some nice 1.1 petrol articulated trucks....the country is run by delusional liars,crooks,fantasists and mental cripples.
What we really need is a hipster nuclear powered penny farthing.

If you just want a little runaround and your car qualified for the full £8,500 scrappage payment, you could get a little 1 litre or a Dacia Sandero or something for free. Although I can't see it working like that, it's probably tapered depending on the car you are buying.

I have a v reg golf and will be seriously be thinking about taking advantage of this scheme.
I already take full advantage of the governments RHI scheme and feel much better about running my house carbon neutral so it would follow suit to get the car going green as well.
I do understand that I'm probably peeing in the ocean but its going in the right direction. If every one did there bit we could have cleaner air to breath:thumb:

If you just want a little runaround and your car qualified for the full £8,500 scrappage payment, you could get a little 1 litre or a Dacia Sandero or something for free. Although I can't see it working like that, it's probably tapered depending on the car you are buying.

Seriously?? I wouldn't be seen dead in such a device! Maybe they'd like to chop my balls off whilst they castrate the car world for good measure! Big two-stroke motorbikes went the same way and are now only found in mop heads - what an absolute tragedy. Don't let our diesels suffer the same fate!

Nobody ever seems to consider that someone who has a smoky old diesel and does about 5,000 miles a year is causing significantly less pollution than some t**t in a petrol car doing 20,000...
When I first heard about it on the radio they even mentioned diesel tractors as a problem. My old massey Ferguson uses a stunning 15 gallons a year. Devastating for the health of Londoners 200+ miles away I'm sure.

The whole thing is more likely an attempt to boost the UK economy by persuading people to buy new cars.

My Bike must be about ten years old by now. Wonder if the Guberm't will give me 8.5k for it? Then I can buy a car and contribute to all the traffic jams down the old kent road :mrgreen:

Back in the 1970's almost no-one owned a diesel powered car and it cost about £1,000 extra to specify a diesel engine when buying a new one.

At the time, diesel fuel was so much cheaper than petrol that after 36,000 miles of driving the diesel engine paid for itself; but because only the very rich could afford to take such a long-term view, they were rare indeed.

The phrase "Lions led by Donkeys." just about sums up forty years of self-serving political mismanagement within the UK ... :doh:

... and believe me when I say that it's no use blaming the EU! :nono: :nono:

And all the jobs they take on the side and the backhanders. What other job will pay your second mortgage and let you spend you day in a drunken slumber. I will keep my diesel. ******** to them.

For some reason the thing that pisses me off the most is that they get a tax subsidised bar in the house of commons. Do a google at how many bottles o champagne are sold and how many bottles of alcohol free becks are sold and I bet you can guess which one was near to 10,000 and which one near to 500

The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions was guy fox
I bet there is a nice little earner going on behind the scenes

If I had the money I might buy an old diesel and use it to get a discount on a Tesla. That might be worth going electric for.

For some reason the thing that pisses me off the most is that they get a tax subsidised bar in the house of commons. Do a google at how many bottles o champagne are sold and how many bottles of alcohol free becks are sold and I bet you can guess which one was near to 10,000 and which one near to 500

Tbh, I'm surprised there are enough MP's with that poor taste to buy 500 bottles of alcohol free Becks :sick:.

Latest posts

Back