One for the tossers.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Will you be making pancakes later?
(Sorry couldn't resist)

I used to love them as a kid but haven't had one since my lad got past the stage of asking for them.

3 Cumberland sausages, 3 eggs, chips and beans for a mid-morning snack in an hour. Not a pancake to be seen though I still have them now and again. Wouldn't dream of having em on pancake day. Who dreams this junk up - batter mix and maple syrup companies?

Yes, made my 'pate de crape' yesterday evening, Julia Child's recipe.
It's best left for 12 - 24 hours before use.
Just serve with butter & sugar and a little lemon juice, only ever eat them on shrove Tuesday, or when on holiday in Belgium.
Cheers

we usually have them since the kids have them, I like them but do not feel compelled to do it..

We wont be doing it until tomorrow though

I am just a simple lemon and sugar type though, cant be doing with all this banana whipped cream sausage compote and mushroom foam

3 Cumberland sausages, 3 eggs, chips and beans for a mid-morning snack in an hour. Not a pancake to be seen though I still have them now and again. Wouldn't dream of having em on pancake day. Who dreams this junk up - batter mix and maple syrup companies?

Hi!
Try Barnsley pancakes!

Full-English-breakfast-pancakes.jpg

Me mam died when I was nine, so me pa had to become an overnight cookery expert. He was particularly good at pancakes and could soon toss them so they almost hit the ceiling before landing neatly in the pan. I came home from school one day and opened the kitchen door just as the tossed pancake began its descent. My pa looked towards the door for a split second before looking back up at the smoking hot pancake. Too late - it landed perfectly on his face. Had the scars for a long,long time afterwards.

This is where you are all going wrong. Pancakes are a 2 course meal.
Savoury ...Maple Syrup and smoked bacon.
Sweet...Fresh lemon juice and sugar.
£
35 years a chef and just realized that I havent got a frying pan.
Does anyone need a basic, foolproof recipe, for pancakes?

I'm being bullied into making them tonight, sugar and lemon for me and the Missus and Nutella for my two boys. Having read the posts I'm liking the idea of savoury pancakes with garlic, ginger,chilli and onions with some curry powder thrown in for good measure. That mix certainly works well with either beans or mushy peas.

I'm having chicken tikka jalfrezi. .hot and BEER..lots! I will probably get coerced into pancakes...and like a tit I've been out already and forgot to buy the necessary. ..

Cheers

Clint

Isn't it funny how so many people click on a thread for tossers?

I quite often make pancakes. Love'em.
Today though we've just had them for lunch, and tonight we'll have them for tea as well.
Butter, sugar and lemon juice this time and I think it'll be salty Welsh butter with golden syrup tonight.

Johnnyboy - you mean there's a recipe?

I love pancakes, a staple when I was a student. Tonight I had them filled with leeks, cheese, bacon and mushroom with a sprinkling of tomatoe sauce. Desert was more pancakes with honey. Feeling stuffed now though.

Stuffed with feijoada (a Brazilian pork and bean stew), topped with cheese and baked for 25 mins. Delicious.

...did the pancakes. ..my youngest who is a fussy little monkey had them stuffed with.....Jaffa cakes! He said the pancakes were awful. ..give me strength!

Cheers

Clint

Yorkshire pudding was sprinkled with about three grains of sugar and became "Supper" on Sunday night.

Any left-over batter from Sunday's Yorkshire Puddings was put in a jug in the larder then on Tuesday it was thinned down with water to become "Pancake Batter" and served for Tea.

Both were cooked in beef dripping, but the pancakes were always liberally dusted with up to six grains of sugar 'cos they were a main meal. :lol:

Apparently, nowadays some people throw away up to 50% of the food they buy! "More money than sense!" as my Mum would say! :doh: :doh:

We didn't have any pancakes yesterday ... :nono: :nono:

... 'cos WE are on a diet! :whistle: :whistle:

Latest posts

Back