One for the cyclists out there - Rapha Discount 25%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I bought a ridiculously expensive rain gilet today from Rapha. They gave me a 25% discount off but they also sent me a further 25% discount code.

Aparently this discount code is not unique to me and everyone has the same discount codethat filled the survey in (I did it in the shop but I guess you can do it online too)

Anyway here it is:
SU6-1Y2D-C5P6-2NDC

Awesome! I do quite a bit of cycling and while I already have plenty of MAMIL outfits, gilets etc come in handy.

Awesome! I do quite a bit of cycling and while I already have plenty of MAMIL outfits, gilets etc come in handy.

Buying from somewhere like Rapha is definately not the norm for me. But completely waterproof gilets are about as rare as hens teeth afaik. You can get water resistant but not proof. I get really hot and sweaty easily so wearing a waterproof jacket during summer is a complete waste of time as I just get soaked from the inside out. This gilet will probably do me for winter too as I'm usually fine in a t-shirt and vest unless it's partcularly cold.

If you do decide to get one be aware they are particularly 'race cut'. I take a size small in t-shirts and medium in jumpers/jackets/outer wear. I had to get a large in the gilet because medium was too tight under my armpits and around my neck when I zipped it right up

Thanks - I don't generally buy from Rapha either as they're just so expensive. I've got one bib short/shirt outfit from them but it was a custom design for the work team and we got it at a huge discount.

I get most of my stuff from Sport Pursuit as the discounts can be up to 70%.

Right....DO follow the care instructions carefully. It looks like a "gortex" type material which is a breathable polyurethane membrane sandwiched between two layers of polyester. The membrane is the waterproof bit,the outer layer will be treated with a DWR durable water repellant coating to make the rain bead off it to stop the outer layer wetting out. Rubbing from backpack straps etc will eventually remove this coating which can easily be reapplied..nikwax or similar. It will still be waterproof if it wets out. Mud etc if left on it in larger quantities clog the pores and stop it breathing...so you will sweat and think it's leaking....I'm glad you didn't pay top whack for it though!
I fish and metal detector. .so out in the wet stuff quite a bit. My two best outdoor coats are army surplus gortex..about £45 new..never leaked in over ten years and a £29 regatta tkmaxx special that's been hammered for 10 years plus and is still good. They've been properly looked after and re proofed but not excessively.
As said. ..read the label.....heat in excess will melt it!
I know about pu membrane....I make lots of it in work!

Cheers

Clint

Made from 90% polyester and 10%spandex.

I wouldn't wash it regularly and re-proof it once a year.

I understand you need to wash it regularly (with something like nikwax wash) as dirt and sweat stops it being water proof so you need to wash that off. I also have a gortex bike wear jacket, which once it starts to seem to loose water proof-ness I wash with nikwax wash and it seems to completely restore it

..read the details. ..three layer laminate...the polyester spandex is the outer/inner or both..not the bit in the middle...that's the pu membrane that makes it waterproof and breathable. That's how you you can have different colours on the inside and the outside..

Right....DO follow the care instructions carefully. It looks like a "gortex" type material which is a breathable polyurethane membrane sandwiched between two layers of polyester. The membrane is the waterproof bit,the outer layer will be treated with a DWR durable water repellant coating to make the rain bead off it to stop the outer layer wetting out. Rubbing from backpack straps etc will eventually remove this coating which can easily be reapplied..nikwax or similar. It will still be waterproof if it wets out. Mud etc if left on it in larger quantities clog the pores and stop it breathing...so you will sweat and think it's leaking....I'm glad you didn't pay top whack for it though!
I fish and metal detector. .so out in the wet stuff quite a bit. My two best outdoor coats are army surplus gortex..about �£45 new..never leaked in over ten years and a �£29 regatta tkmaxx special that's been hammered for 10 years plus and is still good. They've been properly looked after and re proofed but not excessively.
As said. ..read the label.....heat in excess will melt it!
I know about pu membrane....I make lots of it in work!

Cheers

Clint

I'm glad I didnt pay full price too, even though I was prepared to. I think I must be vaguely hydrophobic as I hate getting wet. So am happy to pay top whack for kit that keeps most of me dry

I bought a pair of army surplus gortex overtrousers while ago but they were really baggy so I cut them down to short length. There super water resistant much more so than my goretex jacket.

The whole reason I bought a gilet is because I get so hot when cycling so may well melt it :lol:

The pu membrane won't actually leak unless you puncture it or subject it to chemicals that will alter it...nikwax or similar use pure soap to wash it..put your machine on with NO products to wash it through first or hand wash. You feel wet in the jacket because once clogged up you may as well wear a bin bag....
The pu membrane is actually full of holes...too small to let water molecules through but small enough to let water vapour out...however depending on grade or hydrostatic head ,water can be forced through...

The pu membrane won't actually leak unless you puncture it or subject it to chemicals that will alter it...nikwax or similar use pure soap to wash it..put your machine on with NO products to wash it through first or hand wash. You feel wet in the jacket because once clogged up you may as well wear a bin bag....

So nikwax tech wash (which is what I use on my goretex jacket) should be fine to wash with then? And nickwax reproofer when needed? As Rapha push their own product which are far more expensive than nikwax products.

I do regularly wash the jacket so it doesnt get clogged up but I get too hot in it in summer, I can only really wear it in winter

Nikwax and graingers do some good stuff. Tbh M on summer you'll sweat in most types of jacket in the summer doing anything strenuous it's the wicking layer that makes you feel dry. Them with the zip open arms pits are probably the best option as the jacket will have a vapour transfer limit.
Outdoor gear can be expensive but from my experience mid range is as good as anything unless you want to pay,like the look or brand or your life depends on it.
Like those space suits...all hand stitched, multilayer whatever. ...no change from a million each I bet!
Actually.....12 million usd. ..each! Get one M!

Nikwax and graingers do some good stuff. Tbh M on summer you'll sweat in most types of jacket in the summer doing anything strenuous it's the wicking layer that makes you feel dry. Them with the zip open arms pits are probably the best option as the jacket will have a vapour transfer limit.
Outdoor gear can be expensive but from my experience mid range is as good as anything unless you want to pay,like the look or brand or your life depends on it.
Like those space suits...all hand stitched, multilayer whatever. ...no change from a million each I bet!

Thanks Clint for the great info on how these waterproof materials actually work. As I mention it has to be particularly cold (usually below zero) for me to even have put a jacket on when cycling. But if my core gets wet (as I ride a recumbent this is easily done as rain will just land on my chest when cycling) I start to get really cold. That's why I think this waterproof gilet will be a great bit of kit for me

Latest posts

Back