Wheat in beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignorant twaddle. I've seen plenty of published traditional British recipes with wheat used, in books raved about on this site and historic British recipes straight from breweries.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Lol! Does 'published' = good? The stuff that gets published these days is mind-blowing! Put as much weetabix/shreddies/coco pops as you like in for me, but don't kid yourself it's doing the beer any favours. Well, you can if you want.

Wheat is a common ingredient in traditional British beers, often torrified wheat, it is used to add to formation and retention of head in a usually low carbed beer without affecting flavour or mouthfeel.

I tried a Hoegaarten (hope I spelled it right) in China a few years ago and loved it - the rather warm weather by a lake and snacking on sotong (dried squid) probably helped. I found a clone recipe and made it up and didn't like it, but pulled a bottle out a year or two later and it was lovely. I think that comes down to the issue with any beer made with malted wheat - Corona included - it tends to have a cloying taste unless it is balanced with citrus, weird yeasts or spices and certain hops.

While I'll accept a Corona on a hot day, I understand why the Americans took to adding a slice of lime or lemon and will never try to clone it again. Then again, the Cooper's site recipe isn't a bad guzzler for extract brewers.

**crash** - I just heard Gunge's front door broken down.

I think it was a gang of Bavarian Wheat Beer Brewers about to force feed him wheat beers until he repents. :lol:

No doubt some craft brewing firms take the p**s when it comes to sub-standard drinks. As for cloudy my last few wheat beers were crystal clear. I chose to swirl the yeast into the beer for that extra taste. :grin: Something i'd never do with us-05 or mj's equivalent.

I always put wheat in my beer for the head retention reason as well as liking it.

The cloudiness associated with certain wheat beers is actually a product of the yeast (and sometimes mash schedule or other innoculations used to produce particular flavours) - that's why I mentioned Corona, which contains a far higher percentage of wheat than most European wheat beers.

Lol! Does 'published' = good? The stuff that gets published these days is mind-blowing! Put as much weetabix/shreddies/coco pops as you like in for me, but don't kid yourself it's doing the beer any favours. Well, you can if you want.

Published certainly does not equal good. Black Sheep publishing on their website that their best seller Black Sheep Bitter contains wheat is proof positive of that. And, Everards Tiger Cask, Robinsons Cask Range, Jennings etc. I could go on.

Alternatively, your brewing knowledge could be limited Gunge, and wheat can be a useful ingredient for good brewers, regardless of style.

Published certainly does not equal good. Black Sheep publishing on their website that their best seller Black Sheep Bitter contains wheat is proof positive of that. And, Everards Tiger Cask, Robinsons Cask Range, Jennings etc. I could go on.

Alternatively, your brewing knowledge could be limited Gunge, and wheat can be a useful ingredient for good brewers, regardless of style.

Ah I repent, each to their own and all that. The Black Sheep bit did it for me! But personally speaking, wheat in beer is about as welcome as apple is in curry - yuk!

I'm drinking a wheat beer as I write, it started out nice and cloudy now after 6 weeks plus in bottle it's as clear as a bell!
Cheers

beer-1.JPG

**crash** - I just heard Gunge's front door broken down.

I think it was a gang of Bavarian Wheat Beer Brewers about to force feed him wheat beers until he repents. :lol:

No doubt some craft brewing firms take the p**s when it comes to sub-standard drinks. As for cloudy my last few wheat beers were crystal clear. I chose to swirl the yeast into the beer for that extra taste. :grin: Something i'd never do with us-05 or mj's equivalent.

I always put wheat in my beer for the head retention reason as well as liking it.
Added Wheat certainly does help with head retention without doubt,in my mind it adds body? My mind is strange though

Added Wheat certainly does help with head retention without doubt,in my mind it adds body? My mind is strange though
Agreed. The body thing, not getting suckered into passing judgement on your state of mind.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'm sure my mind is a much stranger place to exist, so I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know if I would call it "body" but there is certainly a cloying taste to malted wheat. Torrified (or terrified we prefer to call it down here) wheat does not have it so much as the proteins have been converted in the cooking process, so it can be added to pretty much any mash to improve head without affecting flavour much. Similarly, if you boil oats instead of toasting them you add little flavour, just mouthfeel.

Malted wheat and torrefied wheat are oft recommended to improve head retention but flaked barley rarely gets a mention. I've used 400g of the stuff in a bitter mainly out of curiosity and to use it up. I don't have a problem with head retention but this stuff had a noticeable effect without imparting flavour. Bumped the OG up a fair bit too and there was zero effect on clarity. The 'experts' say it causes haze. No it doesn't, certainly not an effective proportion like that, tho' I suppose there is a line to be crossed.

Back