Home Brew Shop - how far is you?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
your local home brew shop
how far is it from you and how big is it
and how much do you use it
mine is 20 miles away and about the size of a corner shop
I go to mine about once a month

30 miles away in Edinburgh,I only use it when the wife or daughter needs to go to the city for something,makes it bearable 😉
Its a decent size but you pay for it.

4 miles away, Whilst I appreciate the support your LHBS. He caters for kit brewing only and the kits look like they have sat there for many months if not years.

10 miles away in Cardigan - corner shop size. Hardly go there anymore as she only stocks kits and equipment but I do still call in for a chat and to buy things like crown caps, Irish moss etc.
Place is up for sale now as she's in her 70s.

Not too far away.about 20 mins on bus. Don't use it much at all,owner is very indiferent so i don't patronise the shop!

I've got two within walking distance, not including Wilko. One is a room within a larger home store, but it is expensive. The other has recently moved and I haven't visited since it has, but I should be moving house to five doors down from it. From the pictures I've seen it has a fridge full of yeasts, including the liquid ones.

3 miles!

Only opened fairly recently. Not massive, shop in a small arcade. Don't use it much as it's more expensive than online, on the other side of town from me which is always busy to drive across and difficult to find parking when you get there. I do however use Hambleton Bard CO2 cylinders on my pressure barrels so I will go in there if I need a refill.

Unfortunately I get the feeling it won't be there for too long, the few times I've been in there's never been any customers.

11 miles of crawling through traffic to Stockport homebrew shop. Good sized shop, friendly and helpful. Caters for kit, extract, AG and wine brewing. Sadly, I only use it a couple of times a year. It's impossible for them to stock everything, and I find I have to put an online order in for something. So it makes more sense to get everything delivered to home.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

my "LOCAL" homebrew shop is about 75 miles away!!!!in edinburgh and not easy to get to or park once you are there so its mainly online for me

so sadly it look like must do there shopping on line for home brew stuff
so no wonder they some are closing down

About a mile. Ok for sundry items when caught short but that's about it. Seems to be more interested in cake decorating than homebrew. The guy is knocking on now and the last time I went the thought occurred to me to buy the business and make a real go of it cos I'm utterly sick of what I do now. Maybe next time I'm there...

Love brewing in Liverpool. Enthusiastic staff. Decent sizes shop, sells kits, grain, hops, equipment.
Good selection I'd say and you can choose a 500ml sample bottle of beer. Can't be bad.

We have a health-food shop in town that sells most of the Youngs stuff (Yeast, Nutrient, stabiliser etc) we also have a Murrays Pharmacy which doesn't sell home brew gear but the bigger shop in Barrow (8 miles away) does and they happily send stuff to the Ulverston store for next day collection.

appleseeds-470x345.jpg

65 miles away or so in Edinburgh. As I say in every LHBS thread, I've looked into ordering stuff to collect when I've been going to Edinburgh for the day, but I found that it's more expensive than buying from GEB and paying £6 postage so I've never bothered!

About 2 or 3 miles to my LHBS in Chester.
It's not massive and generally for kit brewers so I don't visit regularly however it is useful to have there for the inevitable brewday emergency purchases!

DA

10 miles away in Cardigan - corner shop size. Hardly go there anymore as she only stocks kits and equipment but I do still call in for a chat and to buy things like crown caps, Irish moss etc.
Place is up for sale now as she's in her 70s.

This is also my local shop. But is 40 miles away. I used to call in if I was working in the area

I have one about 10 miles away in Whitley Bay, does mostly wine but some beer stuff and another in Gateshead about 4 miles but across the Tyne Bridge which is difficult to access at busy times. I am surprised that there are so few around this area however it's a bit like a hardware shop, you have massive outlay to keep everything available just on the off chance that someone might want it.

the one is Gateshead is more expensive than I would like but again he has delivery costs to him and does mostly on line stuff for big items, I only use when I need something urgently. I usually pile a few items together and try to keep delivery costs low for on line stuff..

Recently (last 12 months) I have been getting whole sacks of grain from a local Microbrewery who is not big enough on there own to justify a full pallet delivery that most suppliers demand. I can get a sack of Marris for �£14 or so but still have to source the small bits of extras.

it would be great if Brewers in an area could get together to bulk but and collect locally to cut down on delivery costs and take advantage of economies of scale.

Mines Leamington, called beer torrent. Useful for information. Do a wherry kit for £20. They do brew days, you can use their equipment with yours or their recipe. They look after it and call you when ready to bottle. Price I think for one off is about £45. Plus bring your own bottles or barrel. They are doing brewdog recipes too. It might go on my birthday/ Christmas list lol.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back