What has more calories

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

Landlord.
Reaction score
So on the back of sitting reading the " do you drink to much" thread.

Question in my mind is what has more calories, Home brew or its equivalent commercial variety?

Steven

The calories are in the alcohol. The rest of the beer is, let's face it, just flavoured water.

So it all depends on ABV.

The calories are in the alcohol. The rest of the beer is, let's face it, just flavoured water.

So it all depends on ABV.

My understanding is it's the OG which determines he calories as residual sugars also contain calories. Theee is no difference between commercial or home brewed tho.

What goes in, must come out. It's got to be the OG which determines calories. What doesn't get converted to alcohol remains as sugar. The ABV will make no difference. I have made 2 saisons this year. The OG has been in the 1050s like my pale ales. The FG, however, has been down at 1003! ABV is therefore 6.7% but calorie wise I don't think it will be any different.

You do realise how they determine the number of calories something has, don't you? They get rid of the water, put a measured amount (I think it's a gram if I remember correctly) into a bomb calorimeter - basically a very substantial tin can - which they then flood with oxygen and ignite with an electric charge. The heat generated is the calories.
So sawdust comes out at about the same as wheat flour. You won't get fat eating sawdust.

As far as beer is concerned most of the metabolisable energy is in the residual sugars. Alcohol is a poison that your body expends energy on getting rid of. Which is why heavy beer drinkers get fat whereas heavy wine or spirits drinkers don't.

I don't know why human dietitions still use calories as a measure of anything. Certainly in the agricultural feed industry it was abandoned in about 1930. In the seventies when I was at university they were using metabolisable energy as a measure of feed value but I'm pretty sure they've now moved on to even more accurate ways of doing things.

You do realise how they determine the number of calories something has, don't you? They get rid of the water, put a measured amount (I think it's a gram if I remember correctly) into a bomb calorimeter - basically a very substantial tin can - which they then flood with oxygen and ignite with an electric charge. The heat generated is the calories.

Try setting fire to a peanut then go look at the pack and check the calorific value!

Think you've got it there. ....it's like those sacks of dog food for £80...you can feed a St Bernard on an egg cup full a day....but it'll still cack like a race horse!

So on the back of sitting reading the " do you drink to much" thread.

Question in my mind is what has more calories, Home brew or its equivalent commercial variety?

Steven

To me the home brew,just like home cooking has more "goodness ", less filtering,additives,preservatives.
Maybe the live yeast keep the fat down, maybe I parp away all calories

To me the home brew,just like home cooking has more "goodness ", less filtering,additives,preservatives.
Maybe the live yeast keep the fat down, maybe I parp away all calories

I agree with this in general, not sure about calories ect but apart from malting and yeilding the grain and hops the rest is us.

I don't tend to drink loads anyway but compared to when I drank more for the shelve beers my head doesn't suffer and I certainly don't get that gut rot.

Latest posts

Back