Help Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gassman

Reaction score
Hi All

I have not been on for a long while as due to unseen circumstance (an ex dragon wife in the UK) I am now living in Turkey for good.

No wine yeasts here nor beer kits so I am knackered

I of course know how to make the supermarket juice wines and ginger blow your head off beer but no cider yeasts either

Is it worth you think using a bread yeast or am I wasting my time

I cant get access to yeasts until May time when customers of mine have told me to order to their homes and they will bring for me

Fed up drinking Efes and Tuborg

I hope someone can source some stuff out here for me as I can't

bread yeast can be used but its not going to be great

surely theres a company on ebay or amazon that can deliver to you

Hi Gassman

Bread yeast will do fine. I've used it for ciders and ales and got more than drinkable results. :-)

----------

FV. Apfelwein
Cask. Coopers lager
Bottles. Sweet Cider
Bottles. Dry cider
Bottles. A.G. Hallertauer Pilsner

If you are going to try to make wine i don't think bread yeast is going to be up to the job for the reasons below, the full article is linked to at the bottom.

This brings us back to the bread yeast. Most bread yeast will ferment alcohol up to about 8% with ease, but when trying to produce alcohol beyond this level, the bread yeast begin to struggle, very often stopping around 9% or 10%. This is short of what we'd like to obtain for almost any wine. Bread yeast do not clear out very readily or settle very firmly, either. They typically will form a low layer of hazy wine in the bottom of the fermenter that will never completely clear out. Even more importantly, bread yeast produce alcohol that is plagued with a lot of off-flavours. The bread yeast have to work so hard to produce the alcohol that off-flavoured enzymes and fatty acids are produced along with the alcohol. There are several other issues with using bread yeast, but these are the big ones: the alcohol, the clearing, and the flavour.

Read more - See more at: http://www.eckraus.com/blog/wine-making-bread-baking-yeast#sthash.Futa8Jlj.dpuf

I can get some here and post it over to you, message me if you want

Hi Roddy

Where are you based, if it is UK then it is nice of you to offer but the problem would be customs here as they open everything and would probably dump it

Looks like I will have to wait until May when we start getting tourists arriving and I will get them to bring to me.

I was just a bit bored and thought I would get some brewed while the weather is still in the 60's here as in a few months it will be too hot to brew

Looks like I will have to wait until May when we start getting tourists arriving and I will get them to bring to me.

I was just a bit bored and thought I would get some brewed while the weather is still in the 60's here as in a few months it will be too hot to brew

Whilst not as hot as Turkey I plan on using Mangrove Jack's Work Horse , Mauri Brew English Ale and Mangrove jacks Belgian Ale yeast during the summer as they all have a fermentation range of up to 32C as I don't have a brew fridge and can no longer be arsed with ice water baths

May be you can get a tourist to bring you some of the above

Well been here for a long while and not seen a reply as bad as that one.

Will put it down to probably too much first time ginger beer

Well I wasn't expecting that. :lol:

Note to self: If visiting a women's prison, take a flask.

Chippy, I thought my reply was better the way it was and too the point

Personal insult have no place here as i explained in my PM and that's why the word was removed, i also asked you to use a PM and not the forum to discuss this subject further, it would seem you would rather push the issue in the forum than do it quietly. :roll:

No offence intended. Just something I read on this very forum. In the absence of other medication, urine provides relief from a jellyfish sting and prevents a wound from a sea urchin becoming septic. Is that disgusting or just a useful piece of information? What is disgusting is the fact that child hostages had to drink their own urine because the terrorists gave them no water.
Yeast is everywhere, including inside us because we breathe it in.

sorry mate, I am in the UK yeh

Hi Roddy

Where are you based, if it is UK then it is nice of you to offer but the problem would be customs here as they open everything and would probably dump it

Love and laugh at tonyhibbetts post, come on we`ve all done it. After all this is a over 18`s site.....Pissing on a jellyfish sting is just a urban myth, along with drinking your own ****

Tony`s reply is not as offensive as some of the **** replies made on this site.

The only person that was offended by Tonys post was Gassman and that is why he called him what he did (the word I removed) the rest of us like you took it in the manner in which it was posted.

I have a feeling we are about to go round in circles so i am closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back