Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Conical or not

Old 19-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
bigbud78

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Default Conical or not

I can not make a decision, my FV really need changing and I want to go stainless. I really want to be able to do closed transfers to keg and also do not want to limit myself in the future so as I see it i've got three options:

7 Gal Conical which is expensive and I'd need a new fridge for temps.
A SS brew bucket which I would have to convert for pressure transfer and would be almost the cost of the conical and I'm not keen on the tap. But it does fit my current fridge.
Stainless bucket with Tri clamp fittings, cheapest option and even has butterfly valve.

Head says bucket but I've a nagging feeling I should get the conical, anyone got one that regrets it ? Its a lot of cash I have to explain to my wife lol

Old 19-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
Pirate_Pete

Liked 149 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 149

https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/16918/

Sorry I can't help except to say you could read the Coopers thread about them.
I wouldn't mind one but not fitting in the fridge just wouldn't work for me.
bigbud78 Likes This 
Old 19-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
suffolk

Liked 39 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I bought the brewtech 10L conical mini bucket

I have only used it once and the tap got blocked with hop debris, the quality of the bucket is good.
Will try another brew but I still prefer my old plastic FV
bigbud78 Likes This 
Old 19-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
peebee
Out of Control

Liked 148 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Conical fermenters are certainly convenient. Sampling ports are the icing on the cake. When you think Primary fermentation is done there is no question of racking into a secondary, there's no need. The conical section subjects your beer to a much reduced surface area of old yeast which can be (the old yeast that is) dumped through the port in the bottom if so desired. Fit an airlock and your beer is effectively in its secondary fermenter (dry hops? They can go in now as mine did yesterday, but this is the first time I've tried it).

On stainless steel models you might be able to fit an stainless steel air-stone to the dump port to initially aerate the wort before fermentation. That's what I did.

There are suggestions that the shape creates currents in the beer thus speeding fermentation. I can't prove this, but perhaps I expect beer (sub-1050) to ferment out in two days rather than three. My last brew went in a bit warm (20.5C) and crept up to 21.5. It went 1040 to 1010 (expected FG) within 24 hours! But it kept going for another 24 hours to get an FG of 1007. Some come with temperature control (loads of money), I'm retro-fitting mine with PVC tubing wraps and neoprene sheet, all fed from a shelf-chiller and Inkbird ICT308 controller.

(EDIT: I don't do closed transfers to the kegs, but fit (tri-clamp) a 12V pump and hoses to the racking port and fill the kegs with that. I do 45-65L runs in this fermenter, it's a big 'in. Shame you can't get them anymore.)
bigbud78 Likes This 
Old 19-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
jceg316

Liked 197 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Just to throw a wildcard out there, have you considered a FastFerment? Probably the cheapest option and I really like mine. It has a yeast collection ball which is really useful as well. If this isn't something you'll consider then no worries.

Fermenting:
Why Does Bob Dylan Sing Like He's Sh*tting Himself? - best bitter
Cabbage Patch Blues - Saison
Nematode Helles
Gap Year - Single Hop IPA

Secondary:

Conditioning:
Insomnia - Black IPA
Archduke's Revenge - Hoppy kolsch
Smokey Nematode - rauchpils

Drinking:
Bonestorm IV, but Not as you Know Her...
Experimental Belgian batch
Black goat of the family - dunkel
Golden Shower - Strong Golden Ale
Sour Urn - Sour Beer

Old 19-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Breameister

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default conical

hi
i have the brewmaster 7 gal and love it, easy to use and clean.

i pondered for some time as to what to get and in the end spent the money on the brewmaster version with a maxicool 110 and inkbird.

the temp is now +/- .5 deg and the resulting raw fermented wort tastes far better than conditioned ale i made years ago.

i have only put kits through this to make sure it all works and now considering either AG brewing or BIAB, the costs are ramping up a bit now as the bug bites hard but my view is push the cost limits and the results are more consistent.

i feel that this is a head/heart issue but go with the best you can afford.

good luck.

Old 28-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
treebeard
Treebeard

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breameister View Post
hi
i have the brewmaster 7 gal and love it, easy to use and clean.

i pondered for some time as to what to get and in the end spent the money on the brewmaster version
I'm in the same position and keep coming back to the Brewmaster version. Although they do make a Chronical 7 gal which is £180 cheaper but with ball valves rather than butterfly valves as in the brewmaster. Decisions decisions indeed.

Old 28-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
shepp

Liked 209 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 204

I would go for the SS Brewbucket and keep the fridge. People leave beer in there primaries for weeks on yeast without suffering any negative effects.

Old 30-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #9
peebee
Out of Control

Liked 148 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepp View Post
... People leave beer in there primaries for weeks on yeast without suffering any negative effects.
No negative effects? Who says? Sure any negative effects may leave drinkable beer after weeks on end in contact with the lees, but might the beer have been a damn sight better if it was taken off the lees in a timely manner?

Old 30-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
bigbud78

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Ive still not made a decision on this, I think I'll regret not getting a conical if I don't but the stainless Bucket from brewbuilder is half the price xD Been looking for a cheap fridge for a conical but not found one yet.

Decided against the SS brew bucket as by the time I'd got fittings for closed pressure transfers its not too far of the cost of the conical.