Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > How to culture up yeast from bottle conditioned beers

Old 12-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #71
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3926 Times on 2991 Posts
Likes Given: 4095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon103 View Post
Excellent. Thanks for the prompt reply
I've never harveste from a EK myself but I'm sure you've noticed all that yeast that comes out when you wash/rinse out the EK after use. There's loads
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter

Old 12-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #72
Leon103

Liked 719 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Most of kegs have been dark beers so can't really tell. In theory there should be 10x more yeast
MyQul Likes This 
Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #73
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon103 View Post
Most of kegs have been dark beers so can't really tell. In theory there should be 10x more yeast
Exactly. I saw a you tube vid once where the guy drank a six pack of (330ml) bottle conditioned beer and harvested the dregs. He then put the dregs into 600ml of starter and pitched it. The beer fermented out fine. So all the yeast from a EK in a 2L starter should be loads more than you actually need
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter

Old 19-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #74
Gerryjo

Liked 583 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 267

I must say @MyQul this is a very intriguing thread.I'm in the process of sorting a stir plate as my bits and pieces arrive and hope to cultivate some yeast as well though my question is as follows.
I've recently had issues with my lucky 7 brew which went from 1.048 to 1.024 using CML Belgian yeast and repitched another packet with no effect then pitched a packet of their US Pale Ale and again with no effect.I spoke to another experienced brewer who kindly gave me a third generation reclaimed yeast from which I started using some beer from the brew and made up some wort with H&B Malt extract then pitched which was around a litre but still no activity and haven't even bothered to check gravity but will today, so I'm wondering when I harvest the trunk there is going to be several yeast types present and curious as to how it would turn out in a beer.
I know the only way to find out is use it but I would like to hear thoughts on this as I'm not so hot on yeasts.

Old 19-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #75
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryjo View Post
I must say @MyQul this is a very intriguing thread.I'm in the process of sorting a stir plate as my bits and pieces arrive and hope to cultivate some yeast as well though my question is as follows.
I've recently had issues with my lucky 7 brew which went from 1.048 to 1.024 using CML Belgian yeast and repitched another packet with no effect then pitched a packet of their US Pale Ale and again with no effect.I spoke to another experienced brewer who kindly gave me a third generation reclaimed yeast from which I started using some beer from the brew and made up some wort with H&B Malt extract then pitched which was around a litre but still no activity and haven't even bothered to check gravity but will today, so I'm wondering when I harvest the trunk there is going to be several yeast types present and curious as to how it would turn out in a beer.
I know the only way to find out is use it but I would like to hear thoughts on this as I'm not so hot on yeasts.
I'm not an expert on belgian yeasts by any stretch of the imagination as I dont make that style.However going by my reading you will probably get different characteristics present from all three yeasts. To give you an example Nottingham yeast is a good mix with Windsor yeast. You get the high attenuation from the notty but the esters from the Windsor both present in the beer.
If you then continue to repitch your mix, into several beers, initially you'll get the same balance of characteristics as you did the first time but eventually one or more of the strains become more dominant than the other(s) as the different strains dont all grow at exactly the same rate during re-pitching and other things like mutations will happen at different rates for the different strains. So eventualy you'll probably get a completely different beer on the say 6th repitch to the one you did on the first
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter

Gerryjo Likes This 
Old 19-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #76
Gerryjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyQul View Post
I'm not an expert on belgian yeasts by any stretch of the imagination as I dont make that style.However going by my reading you will probably get different characteristics present from all three yeasts. To give you an example Nottingham yeast is a good mix with Windsor yeast. You get the high attenuation from the notty but the esters from the Windsor both present in the beer.
If you then continue to repitch your mix, into several beers, initially you'll get the same balance of characteristics as you did the first time but eventually one or more of the strains become more dominant than the other(s) as the different strains dont all grow at exactly the same rate during re-pitching and other things like mutations will happen at different rates for the different strains. So eventualy you'll probably get a completely different beer on the say 6th repitch to the one you did on the first
Interesting.What I may do is split it and try one on dark stouts/ales and one on light beers/ales etc to check comparison.
I currently have a cascade SMaSH ready for secondary fermenter at the weekend so I'm going to harvest this as well.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Old 19-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #77
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Interesting.What I may do is split it and try one on dark stouts/ales and one on light beers/ales etc to check comparison.
I currently have a cascade SMaSH ready for secondary fermenter at the weekend so I'm going to harvest this as well.

So you've got three different yeasts in this yeast cake?
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter

Gerryjo Likes This 
Old 19-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #78
Gerryjo

Quote:
So you've got three different yeasts in this yeast cake?
That's correct.

MyQul Likes This 
Old 19-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #79
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
That's correct.

At a guess, your going to get the flavours/esters and possibly the type of mouthfeel from the belgian yeast. If the belgian yeasts are low attenuating (I'm not familiar with belgian yeasts so dont know what sort of attenuation you get) you'll get a higher attenuation coming from the CML pale ale yeast as that's quite high attenuating. If the belgians also have high attenuation as well as the esters they bring, the CML PA wort really be bringing anything to the party
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter

Gerryjo Likes This 
Old 19-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #80
Gerryjo

Quote:
At a guess, your going to get the flavours/esters and possibly the type of mouthfeel from the belgian yeast. If the belgian yeasts are low attenuating (I'm not familiar with belgian yeasts so dont know what sort of attenuation you get) you'll get a higher attenuation coming from the CML pale ale yeast as that's quite high attenuating. If the belgians also have high attenuation as well as the esters they bring, the CML PA wort really be bringing anything to the party
The third yeast type was a third generation notty yeast kindly donated by a fellow brewer from our club.
I was checking it using a refractometer on Brix scale not realising I was using it incorrectly so chances are it had originally fermented out with the Belgian but will never know.
Anyway onwards and upwards 👍

MyQul Likes This