Cheap & Simple Tropical Punch - A BBQ MUST

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've posted a couple of times about this but didn't get any response...

When this was fermenting it was in the the middle of that warm weather we had, the temp on my thermometer said 25 most of the time although it turns out that thermometer was bust so I know it was warm but can't be certain of the temp.

Went to bottle after 1 week in the fv and there was an extremely eggy/sulphur smell and taste so I racked it and it's been in the secondary for 4 weeks. Bottled today and there was still a very slight eggy smell and taste...the eggy taste hit straight away but then got the fruit taste afterwards.

I did some digging and found that high fermenting temps can agitate the yeast which could then lead to an increase in sulphur by-products. It's been bottled and I'm planning on leaving it a while, is it worth doing this or do you reckon I should chuck it? Cheers

I did some digging and found that high fermenting temps can agitate the yeast which could then lead to an increase in sulphur by-products. It's been bottled and I'm planning on leaving it a while, is it worth doing this or do you reckon I should chuck it? Cheers

I have never had this problem so don't know if either of the two suggestions i found earlier will work.

Rack and splash - rack your wine two or three times, being sure to splash it around a lot as the wine goes from vessel to vessel. The aeration (introduction of oxygen) will help counteract the H2S. Put the airlock back on and wait a couple of hours or overnight. If it still smells like rotten eggs, keep going.

Fine or filter the wine.

Thanks chippy, it's been bottled so has had priming sugar added so I'd assume it would be too late to use the rack and splash option unfortunately.

ive got a batch of Tesco tropical juice drink on the go its been going for about weeks now, the bubbles have slowed in the airlock but there is a foam on top still and white floating bits in it... is this ok/normal ????

thank you :hat:

2014-10-19 18.09.24.jpg

2014-10-19 18.13.23.jpg

can I ask a silly question please, do you rack this into plastic bottles to carbonate it , same as you would for ginger beer ??? as concerned about glass explosions :)

Can you bottle this straight from the primary with a teaspoon of sugar in the bottles, or do you have to rack to a secondary?

Watching for a reply on this as I've got a summer fruits and a peach on the go.

The summer fruit one has took off like a rocket and tried to escape through the airlock. Is it worth changing it or leaving as is do you think?

image.jpg

I would change it, next time only fill the bottle to the shoulder, you can top up later once the vigorous fermentation has died down.

Think I'm going to give this a try, although I will need to find something to use as a FV - don't currently have any DJs.

One question though, it says to use the sugar free juice, does that mean the "no added sugar" ones? I don't think I've seen completely "sugar free" ones in our local supermarket.

Made up a batch of this using the Summer Fruits Robinsons.... My wifes new favourite drink! Thanks for the recipe. :thumb:

I've got one batch carbing and another batch fermenting at the moment - I tasted the first one before I bottled it and it tasted a bit watery to be honest, hoping the fizz will give it a bit more character. I was tempted to leave it uncarbed and mix it with soda water when drinking, but there was nowhere near enough flavour for that.

the wife loves the pink grapefruit and drinks it without the fizz

just done a 5 gallon one and its done in 8 days just going to leave it a few days to let it settle a bitty

I just tried a bottle of my Tropical batch and its pretty nasty, quite a chemically aftertaste. Does it improve? It's been carbing for two weeks and in the cold for a week.

Went to do this tonight, had no sachets of wine yeast left. Remembered i had a tub in the back of a cupboard.. expiry Jan 14. Bugger!
Will have to wait for an order then.
Doing a peach one and a summer fruits one for my birthday in a few weeks. Putting them in watermelon kegs xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back